Spinning knob handle for knee movement

wildo

Registered
Registered
The Y handle on my Burke Millrite as well as the spindle handle have these really nice wheels in which the knob on the wheel is free to rotate. This makes for really nice adjustments. The knee crank on the other hand has a fixed knob and I find it exceedingly annoying. So...

1. Is there any particular reason that a spinny knob crank handle wouldn't work for a knee? It does take a little effort to move the knee up, so perhaps that would be too much torque?
  2. Does a Bridgeport knee crank handle already have a spinny knob?
  3. The method with which these are assembled is not immediately apparent to me. The spinny knob doesn't appear to be pressed into a through hole on the wheel, and there are no set screws or pins on the knob itself. Anyone happen to have pictures of one disassembled? I wouldn't mind making this spinny knee crank handle as a shop project, but I don't quite understand how it's assembled in the first place.
Thanks!

On a side note- the crank handle on the Millrite is a cast (I think) aluminum handle and every time I use it it leaves my hand covered in black... something... oxidation? Even with Gojo cleaner, it's difficult to remove the black stuff from my hand. Almost like an ink.

The dials on both my Millrites were and are possible to spin. There is supposed to be a knurled thumb screw with a brass ball bearing at the tip of the screw, down in the hole. I have had no problems with the aluminum handles, but I suppose a coat of paint, varnish, or lacquer would fix it. All three axes on the Millrite use the same dial friction system.

Sorry if I was unclear, Bob. Not the dials, but the handles themselves. I don't currently have any good closeup photos of the knee crank handle, but it's distinctly different from all other handles on the machine- which are all steel. The knee handle that came with my Millrite is aluminum. Perhaps it's not original? The Y and Spindle handles are steel wheels with a knob that rotates freely. Really nice stuff. The knee handle is a one-piece aluminum deal with a fixed knob.

DSC_2439_rdc_zpslzkqx48d.jpg

As Bob said, the issue with the black on the hand is easily solved by coating the handle. I have observed similar marks on hands and wood from some aluminium surfaces. Inexpensive tools with surfaces which were not anodized.

If your wife uses hair spray, this is the least expensive lacquer finish. Lacquer with a lot of solvent.

The handle may be replaceable. Not sure if it's pressed in or threaded. Does the handle have a hole showing in back. Handles can be bought that spin in the range of $15.00 to $50.00 or just paint it a couple coats .

Sounds like I should just put some lacquer on it to solve my problem- thanks for the suggestions all! Though I do still think that a handle with a freely rotating knob would be a cool upgrade!

I remember the handle on the Milrite mill we had many years ago. It look exactly like the one in your picture. It was a nice mill, wish dad had kept it. I hated that handle. Moving forward, I have a 645 Index mill now that had a broken swivel knob on the handle. Made a nice one out of aluminum. So far, it doesn't leave your hand "black" as did the Milrite handle did. Here's a picture of what I did.

20170330_102333.jpg

Now we're talking!! And I'm glad I'm not the only one to get the black hand from that damn handle. I've cleaned it like crazy, and yet... every time. :mad:

I just made a power feed for the knee.
My handle is plastic and I need to machine some new ones. It has brass bushings so they spin very nice on the handle.

Knee feed.jpgknee 2.jpg

Back