Spindle Square for the Mill

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I made a spindle square and was thinking I only need to tram the vise.
Is this correct?

Not exactly sure what your question is. You normally have to tram both the spindle and the vise.

Maybe a picture of your setup would be helpful

you have to tram the spindle to the Z axis first and then the spindle/Z axis column to the table 2nd. Can be done by shimming in many cases.

Last edited:
I made a spindle square and was thinking I only need to tram the vise.
Is this correct?
Not sure I understand your question, but if you're asking if you can tram just the vise and not the table, the answer is no. If you don't tram the table, the vise will move uphill and downhill with the table (relative to the spindle). If that's not what you're asking, ignore this and return to your regular programming.

Tom

Last edited:
The purpose of tramming the head is to make the spindle axis perpendicular to the direction of travel in the x and y directions. This permits an end mill or facing tool to cut evenly at the front and back. An out of tram spindle will also cut scallops on a face

Tramming is not necessarily accomplished by tramming to the milling vise or even to the table. If the table surface is not parallel to the x and y ways, you will have a false indication. To avoid this, I would fix a plate to the table and lightly skim the surface with a small diameter end mill. The reason for the small diameter end mill is to minimize the scalloping effect. This creates a surface which is parallel to the x and y ways. Then tram your spindle to this surface.

Indicate the head as close as possible, when a job requiring more precision crops up install soft jaws and mill them in place, hold parts and mill away.

Thanks for the answers.
I believe my mill can only be trammed in the z axis as the spindle only tilts, no nod.
Just so I understand. Tram the table first, then the vise.
RJ, I will try your method.

Back