Spindle Oil?

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
I have a 4914 Clausing Lathe and the head stock is getting low on oil. In the manual it saids to use SAE 20 Machine Oil.

Anybody got a cross over to Mobil Spindle oil?

Thanks
Paul

If you really want to research oils, check out the Bob is the Oil Guy forum. Although primarily for motor oils, there is a section for heavy and industrial lubrication.

Hope this helps,
- Arved
(Amateur Tribologist)

Thanks for the help, I did order the Mobil oil this morning.

Paul

shadow link=topic=561.msg2739#msg2739 date=1295041036 said:
Most everything I worked on I put an iso 32wt turbine oil in it. now those machines were the type that work hard day and night.
I also use turbine oil Royal Purple to be exact. If those pumps can run 24/7 in grueling conditions its good enough for my lathe...Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I originally bought into the high dollar oil idea, but have since changed my mind

My lathe is 71 years old and the gears in the headstock look pretty good. Back when the lathe was manufactured, 30 weight oil was recommended and I'm sure that was what was used.

Don't use detergent oil. As I understand it, detergent oil was developed for use with a filter and the dirt particles are suspended in it, with the help of additives. Where non detergent and gear oil was made to have dirt settle to the bottom, for drain off.

When i worked in the big factory machine shop i asked for some oil for my lathe. Figured they had an oil room like we had in school. About 20 minutes later a kid came up with a round quart can of Valvoline 10W30 and said here you go and it even had the metal spout sticking out of the can...Bob

knudsen link=topic=561.msg2834#msg2834 date=1295285805 said:
The mobil oils I've purchased by the gallon from Enco with discount and free shipping are about the same price of mineral based motor oil locally. Most I've bought on sale and they were considerably less than local oil. No need to mention the high price of synthetics. You don't have to use what's recommended, and there is likely a better oil than what's recommended, but you should use an oil designed to work with the application. I'm still looking for a good open gear grease available in less than 5 gallon pails. Prefer a cartridge or a small tub.

Used to you could get it in a spray can, I but I haven't used it in years.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Back