Spindle Nut Spanner Wrench for G0602

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was checking the spindle bearing preload on my G0602 lathe and I realized that I didn't have a satisfactory tool for adjusting the spindle nut. So I decided to whip one out. I had a short section of steel 3" round from a part that was no longer used so I sawed a 1/2" thick section. The piece had four 1/4-20 tapped holes on a 2.125" bolt circle which was a close fit for the slots on the nuts. I turned the o.d. to clean it up and faced both sides. Then I bored it out to 1.600" to fit over the spindle threads. For the pins, I threaded two grade 8 1/4-20 bolts into opposite holes and tightened them into the unthreaded portion which essentially locked them in place. Next, I cut the unthreaded shanks to 3/8". Then back in the lathe where I turned the inside face of the stubs to to 2.040" to fit the spindle nut.

For the wrench handle, I welded a piece of 1/2" square sock to a short length of 1/2x1"bar and drilled two 1/4" through holes to match the remaining two holes in the wrench ring. A pair of grade 5 3/4" 1/4-20 bolts for assembly and the wrench was finished.
602 Spindle Wrench.JPG

Nice work RJ!

Back