Spindle nose

willthedancer

Registered
Registered
I have a Clausing 4800 lathe with the typical (and inadequate for my work) threaded spindle nose. I have decided to whip up a replacement spindle and have chosen the D1-3 nose.

Rather than reinventing or having to infer dimensions from partial data, is there a print out there for the spindle nose?

I already have drawings for the mating chuck backing plates and adapters.

Thank you in advance..

I have that data, and can infer the position and dimensions of the cams and such, but having the ISO standard drawing would be better. I don't want to create a bastard spindle where only my workholding fixtures fit.

Hopefully someone has a drawing somewhere to share. I'd rather not have to buy a book. Drawings are available for type A, and type L, but not for camlock?

Hopefully someone has a drawing somewhere to share. I'd rather not have to buy a book. Drawings are available for type A, and type L, but not for camlock?
You have to buy the ANSI standard to get the drawings for the cam locks. If you search the internet enough, a stray copy of the standard will show up. I have a original copy of the standard here somewhere in my stuff. I haven't been able to it or I'd share it with you. Ken

EDIT: Look for a copy of the "Tool And Manufacturing Engineers Handbook" (ISBN 0-07-059558-5) The camlock pins are listed in section 40 of this book. If you cannot find a copy of the book, send me a PM and I'll scan the page on the pins and email to you. Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Ken,

I have a drawing of the pins. I'm looking for the centerline distance for the cams from the face, and any weird offsets or angular relationships between cams and pins. If you find your copy, and can share, I'd be grateful.

WTF is with these industrial standard organizations that they want you to pay heavily for a copy of standards we are all subject to in manufacturing? Sorry, rant over.

Thank you Ken,

I have a drawing of the pins. I'm looking for the centerline distance for the cams from the face, and any weird offsets or angular relationships between cams and pins. If you find your copy, and can share, I'd be grateful.

WTF is with these industrial standard organizations that they want you to pay heavily for a copy of standards we are all subject to in manufacturing? Sorry, rant over.
Lol, I don't know. Likewise, In the oilfield, we have API standards we have to abide by. Some of the one's I have for reference cost upward around $175 apiece. You can tie up lots of $$$$ in the press of a keystroke. But we have to have them. Auditors expect you to have them on file, and the latest copies, too! Ken

My bestie is a CWI under the AWS cert. She always seems to get hers for free, but I suppose being a buxom redhead with a dazzling smile gets her places......

Made up a dummy positive today. Needs a little massage on the fits, which I will do when my new backing plate comes in. After its done it's fitting work on all my chucks and faceplates, I guess it will stay around as a way to fix a chuck to a table.spindledummy.jpg

Back