Spindle heat, HF mini mill

I second the opinion that Griz is a slight cut above the HF machines. Difficult to quantify 'slight' though. And I recently bought a machine that is supposedly a cut above the Griz. It's laying in pieces on my bench awaiting parts.

Don't assume anything with these machines. It is entirely possible that you have a defective or dry bearing. Or that it's not running true, or anything else that could possibly be wrong. All of these machines from China are basically pre-assembled kits. They should all be taken apart, inspected, cleaned, de-burred, surfaces trued, etc., etc.. Whatever it takes to make it right.

Of all of the Chinese machines I've bought in the last 14 years, (5) I've only had one I didn't have to do a damn thing to. Not even an alignment. And most here would tell you I paid too much for it. To each his own... ;)

Bill

I second the opinion that Griz is a slight cut above the HF machines. Difficult to quantify 'slight' though. And I recently bought a machine that is supposedly a cut above the Griz. It's laying in pieces on my bench awaiting parts.

Don't assume anything with these machines. It is entirely possible that you have a defective or dry bearing. Or that it's not running true, or anything else that could possibly be wrong. All of these machines from China are basically pre-assembled kits. They should all be taken apart, inspected, cleaned, de-burred, surfaces trued, etc., etc.. Whatever it takes to make it right.

Of all of the Chinese machines I've bought in the last 14 years, (5) I've only had one I didn't have to do a damn thing to. Not even an alignment. And most here would tell you I paid too much for it. To each his own... ;)

Bill

Thanks Bill. I'm traveling for work tomorrow and will be gone all week, but will hopefully have a chance to tear it down next weekend. I have the instructions for removing all the gears that came with the belt drive kit, that should get me a good start at disassembly. I found some info here about getting the spindle out, looks like I need to support the head and give the spindle a couple taps with a soft hammer. Since I have the belt drive I might as well take all the unused gears out anyway.

I hope I find a bad or dry bearing or something obvious, not sure I have the skills or equipment necessary to modify parts/"make it right."

Back