spindle bearing vibration??

B Driscole

Registered
Registered
Earlier this month I posted a question about an X-axis problem. Thanks for the help. Everything is back together and working freely again. Bottom line it was just some old dried grease at the bearing end. I have cleaned it up re-greased and cleaned out all the oil hole and tracks. I have also taken apart and cleaned up the Bijur oil pump.

Sense I'm on a maintenance roll I have been having some vibration in my spindle from time to time. My mill is a Burke-Millrite. Is there any way to tell if the vibration is in the spindle or motor? If the spindle where is the best place to send it off to have it rebuilt? This mill is suppose to have an adjustment to pre-load the bearings, but when I follow the instruction there is no adjusting screw where their are suppose to be. I don't know if its been rebuilt in the past and the original bearing replaced. The motors is easy, there is a local motor shop that can clean and rebuilt it. Any suggestions?

Thanks Bob

If you have a smart phone there is a vibrometer app that you can use to help identify sources of vibration. I would take it one step at a time beginning with just the motor running without any belts, then add in sequence to see if you can find the source. Remember that belts can get flat spots as well as pulleys at times, plus ball bearings in the early stages of failure can also create harmonics. Good luck == Jack

Jack thanks for the information. I've downloaded "Vibration Meter" to my phone and will give it a run when I get home.

Bob

Back