[Newbie] Spin Indexer

mfaith

Registered
Registered
Hey guys , great forum. Brand new to machining, but I must admit that in a relatively short time I have gotten really good.......at buying stuff. I just got a spin indexer because I really needed it. Now my question. Any suggestions on beginner projects I can use it for?

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Make something round into a hex. Or cut the square end onto a new chuck key for your lathe.

Make an outboard spider for you lathe . Muzzle brakes are aways fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Welcome! This is a friendly and helpful site in my experience. I predict you will like it here. You are now a machinist. Your imagination and your tools define the limits of what you can make, and the imagination is the most restrictive of the two. Skills also need to be developed. You can now divide a circle into 360 accurate degrees. How cool is that? How do you want to divide it, and for what result? I assume you are using the spindex on a milling machine, yes? What kinds of tooling are high on your list? Perhaps you can custom make some of it. Don't feel shy about asking questions, that is the purpose of the site. No question is dumb if you need answers...

Do you mean a dividing head?

Spin indexers are simple devices, usually a collet holder, which allows one to spin the material being held (say an endmill for sharpening or shaping) or indexed on any one of a number of predetermined holes around the indexer plate.

A dividing head is far more complex, allowing one to select any chosen angle or positioning for the machining of your material.

th-3.jpeg th-4.jpeg

Make an outboard spider for you lathe . Muzzle brakes are aways fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Muzzle break. That sounds cool. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spin indexers are simple devices, usually a collet holder, which allows one to spin the material being held (say an endmill for sharpening or shaping) or indexed on any one of a number of predetermined holes around the indexer plate.

A dividing head is far more complex, allowing one to select any chosen angle or positioning for the machining of your material.

View attachment 118821 View attachment 118822

My bad, I never realized there was a difference. Thanks for the educate

Back