Spin indexer and gears

Figures... the first gear I'd be making has 50 teeth. But the second has 20. So I'm 1 for 2...

Why not just build your own small dividing head, lots of plans out there on the net. If you decide to save your $ to buy one get a Vertex, not cheap but then again its a fine machine.

If your primary need is to make gears. Then IMHO you do not want a spin indexer or a rotary table. You will get the best results using a “dividing head”. And better yet, a CNC dividing head. With a CNC type, you can get all the divisions (some divisions with very slight errors) with the push of a button(s). Sherline has a pretty nice 4” rotary table and can be had with a CNC package. For a manual, the little Ellis dividing head is pretty darn nice…Dave.View attachment 246201

Last edited:
Shawn you could use a online calculator (like LMS bolt hole calculatorhttps://littlemachineshop.com/mobile/bolt_circle.php to get the coordinates for each hole and use the igaging dro, that's how I did it when I had my mini mill with the igaging dro. Little more work but very doable.

I am able to borrow a friend's 8" rotary table, I just have to go pick it up. I think I will try a test with it and the LMS really handy form. I can use the degrees to turn the gear.
This first shot will be a 50 tooth clutch gear for the spindle fine feed. The teeth are on the face not the diameter and cut with a engraving cutter/bit. It won't need to be laser accurate, as long as the teeth engauage with the other gear I have. We will see how it goes. For the accuracy I'm going for, if I'm .2 degrees off, I don't think it'll ruin everything... Who knows.

It would end up a bit more than your budget, but you might take a look at the Vertex Rotary Tables. 90:1 ratio, Optional: Dividing Plates, Tail Stock and Chucks. I ended up purchasing a Vertex HV6 rotary table. The base HV6 starts at around $250. Hamilton Tool & Supply had some of the better pricing, I could find. Shars also sells a similar rotary table, though I don't know who makes it.
Stefan Gotteswinter has nice review and series of "upgrade" videos on youtube for the Vertex HV6.

So, i borrowed a friends 8" rotary table with an adorable 3" chuck mounted on it.
I used the LMS form jocat54 posted, man, what a useful tool..
i used the degrees to advance. It was quite easy actually.. the hardest part was centering in the bore. I used a small edge finder inside the bore as I don't have an indicator holder that clamps to the spindle. I bought one two weeks ago but returned it cause it was junk. Breath on it and it moved...
Anyways. I made a D cutter, and it worked perfectly. Really happy.
IMG_20171108_212620.jpg
IMG_20171108_212635.jpg

15101983804927805751624540075083.jpg

Back