SPI .0001 DTI fails

Ordered 2 bestest 7031-5 DTIs last night. And on another note just got my headstock within .0001 taper at 3.5 inches, only took me 2 days lol. Since my DTIs were garbage I did it the way that matters really, taking a cut measuring and adjusting. The cut doesn't care what the indicator says.

Hey Mikey,
Either one can be used, the link you had connected to a dial indicator, so I assumed he was also interested in a DI. A DI will read true distance, a DTI is relative. I use both, but for headstock alignment and setting up stock in the 4J I use a DI, I use a DTI for close in work near the chuck or inside stock alignment. Most of my work requires tolerances of better than 0.001" so I use my Starrett 25-611 most of the time and it is much easier to read than my Interapid which is a 0.0005" model. The nice thing on the Interpid DTI (also Compac, Tesa, newer B&S seem to be the same) is that they have a several revolution range measurement, so on their 0.0001" the range is 0.024". I would look for NOS or lightly used, sometimes you can find one at a decent price, but seems less so these days.
View attachment 225407

You're right - I did link the wrong thing; they were next to each other on the list I saved for one of my friends and I copied the wrong link. I meant this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006J4Y3E/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

I use both, too, and what I wanted to get across is that it pays to buy a good tool the first time. The trick is in figuring out what "good" is nowadays, and I think the Swiss instruments offer the most bang for the buck in a range most hobby guys can reach.

Mikey I didn't say they were cutting within .0002 just that the work is indicated with .0002 before cutting lol. And that seems like overkill to me

I was just joking. I have a lot of respect for good gunsmiths. I met one locally and he was the grouchiest man I have ever seen but that guy was meticulous and did good work.

Thought I had read that Long Island Indicator doesn't have repair parts for Compac/Interapid stuff anymore- Bummer if true
Mark S.
LII doesn't repair Starrett Last Word indicators either, cheaper to buy a new one. Bought a new one in January for $180.00 shipped.

Don't know enough about B&S pricing to say. Just beware of the $35 Mitsubishi!

If the price is too good to be true, it's a fake.

$85 less than the link Mikey posted.

Back