[How-To] Speeds for feeds on 16” SB latbe

ironwrx

Registered
Registered
Hi. Ok I’m showing my lack of training here, (Ive always kind of winged it). Can anyone suggest a good method for determining the proper speed for feeds on my lathe? I know it’s kind of a newbie question, but I’d love to know if there’s a simple way to figure it out? Thanks - Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not an expert here so I'll be interested in reading other's replies.
For me it's kind of a seat of the pants thing as there are so many variables.
The type of material - brass, stainless, mild steel, 4140, aluminum, stellite?
Are you just hogging off some metal or wanting a fine finish on your final cut? Using HSS or carbide? Horsepower? Range of speeds on your lathe?
A SB 16 should have the HP to do some pretty heavy hogging but you have a fairly low max speed.
There are charts of course and you can go down that rabbit hole - and get lost sometimes.
Big blue chips - like replacement toenails - are okay but long blue wires are not.
Nor are sparks.
Nor is work hardening your job because you got it hot.
I guess I'm just rambling here so I think I'll pour a second cup of coffee and read what the others have to say.

As a retried manual machinist, I always wing it. Calculate the rpm based on the material and size, (cutting speed x 4)/diameter, then adjust feed based on surface finish desired and the ability of the machine.

1. Get some tooling.

2. Buy some scraps—maybe 3/4 to 3” diameter, free-machining 12L14 and cheap 1018.

3. Make chips.

4. Write down observations.

I’ve had zero luck reading speeds and feeds from carbide insert charts—they are made for production environments. And I have not found that my lathe, which is supposedly too slow and weak for carbide (particularly the negative-rake tooling I like), subject to the claimed limitations. My lathe has a top speed of about 1100 RPM but I almost never go that fast, even when the book says I should.

Smaller stuff goes faster. 1018 is tough and stringy—if you get strings, stop and try something else rather than creating a dangerous bird’s nest. Carbide prefers deeper cuts, particularly with cheap steel.

Experiment with HSS tooling and learn how to grind it. What you learn will transfer to carbide better than you think.

The worst that can happen is you take too deep a cut and stall the lathe. If your lathe has plastic gears, experiment with increasingly heavy cuts until the lathe is straining, and write that down. With old flat-belt lathes, you’ll probably just slide the belt off if you stall it—no big deal.

Blue chips are fine and maybe optimal for carbide, but avoid sparks and strings.

Start with 2” stock, 250RPM, 0.005”/revolution feed rate, and a range of cut depths from 0.010 to 0.100 (radius, not diameter), though you’ll need a bigger lathe for the deeper cuts. Adjust until you like the results. This becomes your home setting. When the diameter cuts in half, double the spindle speed from your home setting. When the diameter doubles, cut the speed in half.

Practice, practice. But keep notes.

Rick “never landing on recommended values” Denney

1. Get some tooling.

2. Buy some scraps—maybe 3/4 to 3” diameter, free-machining 12L14 and cheap 1018.

3. Make chips.

4. Write down observations.

I’ve had zero luck reading speeds and feeds from carbide insert charts—they are made for production environments. And I have not found that my lathe, which is supposedly too slow and weak for carbide (particularly the negative-rake tooling I like), subject to the claimed limitations. My lathe has a top speed of about 1100 RPM but I almost never go that fast, even when the book says I should.

Smaller stuff goes faster. 1018 is tough and stringy—if you get strings, stop and try something else rather than creating a dangerous bird’s nest. Carbide prefers deeper cuts, particularly with cheap steel.

Experiment with HSS tooling and learn how to grind it. What you learn will transfer to carbide better than you think.

The worst that can happen is you take too deep a cut and stall the lathe. If your lathe has plastic gears, experiment with increasingly heavy cuts until the lathe is straining, and write that down. With old flat-belt lathes, you’ll probably just slide the belt off if you stall it—no big deal.

Blue chips are fine and maybe optimal for carbide, but avoid sparks and strings.

Start with 2” stock, 250RPM, 0.005”/revolution feed rate, and a range of cut depths from 0.010 to 0.100 (radius, not diameter), though you’ll need a bigger lathe for the deeper cuts. Adjust until you like the results. This becomes your home setting. When the diameter cuts in half, double the spindle speed from your home setting. When the diameter doubles, cut the speed in half.

Practice, practice. But keep notes.

Rick “never landing on recommended values” Denney

Thanks Rick. That’s what I hoped to glean from this; I’m willing to experiment, but it’s nice to get some good advice from experienced folks too.

Find a slide rule cutting speed and feed calculator that shows cutting speeds for different materials and cutting tools, and use it.

If you are into apps for your phone I found one called FS Wizard. It has lots of parameters that you can set. Works for milling, boring, threading or turning. If you were a pro it would be really handy, for a hobbyist like me it gives good starting points.

If you are into apps for your phone I found one called FS Wizard. It has lots of parameters that you can set. Works for milling, boring, threading or turning. If you were a pro it would be really handy, for a hobbyist like me it gives good starting points.

Thank you. I’ll try it.

Back