Speeds & Feeds

The older ones are better for manual machines and cover archaic standards better, the newer versions have much better metric system support and cover the latest tooling and methods.

By "newer versions" what do you mean? 28 and 29? 26 and up?

Holy crap! I'm going to have to reinforce my coffee table! At least I live withing 10 miles of a freight terminal.
At least an evening's light read, eh?

pic_zpsouwipods.png

pic_zpsouwipods.png

pic_zpsouwipods.png

pic_zpsouwipods.png

By "newer versions" what do you mean? 28 and 29? 26 and up?
The manual changes gradually, leaving out stuff that is little used any more, and at the same time adding new technology and techniques. Basic stuff like all the charts for making a gear will be in all the manuals. If you are into CNC, you will not find it in the older manuals because it did not exist then. If you are looking for information on a clapper box for a shaper, go to an old manual...
Again, all of the manuals have the general data you need to do basic and advanced machinist work.

Read the reviews on the Machinery's Handbook 29th edition. Apparently early printings had poor quality paper, ink smudging, ink bleed through, and the paper was so thin that printing on the other side of the pages was so visible as to make the book very difficult if not impossible to read. Many returned as ususable.

Paper quality was improved in later printings, but opposite side of page printing is still visible through the page. Search around and you can find pictures of the problem.

Folks are saying get the 28th edition instead, but the 29th is claimed to be better organized and hence more useful.

Or, I guess the 29th is available on CD ROM. I think for something like that I would prefer a book.

I find all that to be ridiculous. The printing press was invented around 1440 BC. It's now 2016. One would think...

I think mine is the 17th edition or whatever edition was selling in the early seventies when I was an apprentice. Oh Geez!! Just realized that was over 40 years ago.

Tom S

I bought a new one and hopping for the best ,,as long as it's not Chi !.

Wow! The Machinery Handbook, eh? Sounds like the utmost, adamantine reverence for that tome. Well then, roger that. Wilco.

I would think having the speed & feed stuff integrated right into the CAM software would be cool. For whatever reason I have not seen that. Probably too complicated or too many variations or whatever to effectively implement.

Some software does yet it is unlikely that you want to spend 4-5 times the cost of your entire machine to aquire it.

The manual changes gradually, leaving out stuff that is little used any more
If you are looking for information on a clapper box for a shaper, go to an old manual...
Exactly.

I have a 14th Edition. Acquired in the mid 1970s.

Why so old? well first-off because i HAVE it and don't need to spend for the latest "operating system" of a machine. But secondly, my main machine is from the 1950s, so it's a good fit. Little has changed except insert tooling and those vendors provide plenty of info for their specific products.

With my book, i could run my shop on leather belts. It has stitching procedures and sizing for exactly that. I won't, of course, but it's in there. I think the most exotic, experimental technology it mentions is the hydraulic tracer head. Heady stuff, eh?

Wrat

Wow! Leather belts. You have to admit, that pretty special. :) Who knows, after the zombie apocalypse...

Wow! Leather belts. You have to admit, that pretty special. :) Who knows, after the zombie apocalypse...
Do zombies eat cattle? Dunno... maybe there'll be leather.

Wrat

There are two wizards available for Mach- for Mach3 there is the Add-ons for Mill for $50 and there is the NfsMill package, for Mach4 for $75 but it is a standalone windows program that does not require Mach. Both can be used to generate Gcode for some failry complex jobs, combining common shapes and drilling patterns. Both calculate appropriate feeds and speeds for many common materials, and each let you edit the material table as you decide what feeds are appropriate for you machine. Both are one time license fees with no time limit.

In the name of disclosure I wrote and support both sets of wizards. I am currently working on the lathe wizards to go with the LMS lathe conversionI I am working on for TheCNCworksop.com coming in June

Back