Speeds & Feeds

grepper

Registered
Registered
Crap. Back to square one.

I did a bunch of reading & YouTubeulating. I was thinking... go real slow, take very shallow cuts and I can't go wrong. Seemed to make sense. But I guess I was laboring under a delusion.
:angry no:In fact, apparently that can cause a variety of problems like overheating, bad surfaces, shortened tool life, etc.

Do I need to get G-Wizard? A little pricey @ $80/year.

Just at the onset I have way too many questions like, what about drilling, boring, how deep a cut? What does it mean with a tinker toy 1/2 hp mini lathe with a top speed of 2500 rpm?

Once again I find myself clueless with a lot to learn.

ANY advice, suggestions, info on stuff like do I need G-Wizard or some ilk would really be appreciated.

Last edited:
Yup. Too slow or too little chipload, rub the tool into oblivion or run into chip thinning. Too fast, and the unit melts and or breaks. The calculations can be done by hand, or you can use a calculator tool such as G-Wizard or FS Wizard (has a web version).

G-wizard after one year subscription reverts to hobby use; meaning any spindle under or at 1HP is still allowed: 1 HP for life, unlimited HP for one year. G-Wizard takes into account stickout, materials, HP limiting, deflection, and several other parameters that are tedious to spreadsheet. Even with a calculator, fine tuning can and should be done. The basic requirement is knowing the tool chipload (how much material is carried away by each cutting edge). Turning, the chipload will depend on a the feed in surface feet per minute, but when the diameter goes down or up, the spindle has to speed up or down to maintain the same SFPM.

Another point to keep in mind when looking at Feeds and Speeds posted around the web on professional forums and or tooling sites: these are usually for production level material removal rates (MRR) on machines that weigh thousands of pounds, run multiple horsepower spindles and operate under the time-is-money-above-all-else rule of production machining, so take them with a grain of salt.

Basic Operations
To give you some examples of the parameters with drilling, Feeds and Speeds still apply, plus there are restrictions on drilling depth vs. drill diameter. Below a certain depth, the standard twist should be replaced with a parabolic type. Over a certain depth, peck drilling should be performed (which retracts the drill to clear the flutes and hole). Drilling certain materials requires changing the cutting angle of the drill tip, as does thin materials.

Examples with boring, account for the tool deflection (last cut should be run with no change in diameter to remove the spring in the tool).

Start with simple machining first, getting used to how the machine cuts, sounds. The operational envelope is determined by the machine, the material, the rigidity of the tool, speed of the spindle, run-out, cutting geometry, all items that generally can be ball parked, but then need fine tuning for specific situations and your machine. Get some aluminum, suitable cutting tools, and experiment. Listen, smell, feel the machine. Adjust speeds and feeds up and down and get sensory feedback on what is going on, you will quickly get a feel for it.

Resources
Here are some good starting places:
Stanford University Terminology: a PDF explaining some of the basic lathe terminology.
Little Machine Shop Calculator: Milling, Drilling, Turning
Little Machine Shop Cutting Speeds: Charts for same
Machinery Handbook: The bible with 29 editions from 1914 to 2012. Pricey, but used and other copies exist. Think of it as the World Wide Web of machining in a book (with over 2700+ pages, I feel safe in stating that). FAR more than you will need anytime soon. For example, from page 975 to 1264 in the 28th edition contains: Cutting Speeds and Feeds, tables, estimating speeds and machining power, cutting fluids, nonferrous metals and non-metallic materials, machine tooling accuracy.
Fundamentals of Machine Tools: Section 7-5 has a good description and suggestions for feeds and speeds for boring.
Virtual Machine Shop: Has several articles and some animation about basic topics. HERE is the section on boring, the section on drilling.
Mini-Lathe.com: long running site with a lot of information on the various small lathes. Here is Drilling, Turning,
An enthusiasts beginner list: he is a native Japanese speaker, and some of his english transliterations are odd, but there are pictures enough. Drilling, Basic Lathe Operations

I suppose there are many sources of info these days, but I'm old skool.

Machinery Handbook. That's all you need. Get one, cuddle up with it, and get familiar. You'll have a long-term relationship. The only time i worry about deviating is when using insert tooling, and then i only deviate based on insert manufacturer suggestions. I got mine for $10. But yes, new, they're like buying college textbooks.

Another good thing about a copy of MH is that it covers so much, you'll actually get new ideas. I remember flipping through mine saying, "wait, you mean i can do THAT?" Of course, this will lead to buying more tooling, but why forestall the inevitable?

Every material has a different cutting setup. Aluminum is a nice setup material because you can't hardly go too fast (if your machine is rigid enough). Titanium, or anything high in nickel, requires much closer attention. The numbers don't lie and are based on countless hours of experience and repeatable research.

Obviously, there's always "that one guy" that did it "that one time" and had unprecedented results that went on to write about his success. Good for him. However, those can be expensive rainbows to pursue. I tend to stick to the conservative tried and true these days. If you can get that data online, great, but I tend to prefer a book, specifically, THE book: Machinery Handbook.

Wrat

Al-Hala did a good job of explaining the preponderance of information that is available and how it is applied. But not all of it relates to what we are trying to accomplish with our hobby machines. I looked at many tool manufacturer websites and came away confused by the inconsistent recommendations. My fall back reference is Machinery Handbook. It hasn't let me down yet but that's not to say I've quit looking for a better source. IMHO G-Wizard may be a wonderful tool but at $80/year it's not on my list of "need to have" tools.

Tom S

Wow! The Machinery Handbook, eh? Sounds like the utmost, adamantine reverence for that tome. Well then, roger that. Wilco.

I would think having the speed & feed stuff integrated right into the CAM software would be cool. For whatever reason I have not seen that. Probably too complicated or too many variations or whatever to effectively implement.

Is there any pill I could swallow, or possibly balmy salve I might apply at bedtime which would provide ten years of milling experience whilst I slept?

Material removal rate is limited by spindle HP and machine rigidity. A little experience and experimentation is the best way to optimize the feeds and speeds for your machine. Start slow and work your way up. On a small machine the tendency is to feed too slow, this can cause the tool to rub rather than cut, which can dull the tool rather quickly. Running the spindle too slow is really not a problem as long as the feed rate is adjusted. Normal chip load is 0.001 to 0.004 per tooth on a light machine. I actually measure the chips being cut to adjust the feed on the fly. You can hear/feel when the machine is happy. A little math will give you the starting point.

Start out with cheap endmills, you will dull some quickly and break others until you gain some experience.

I think you will quickly figure out what works best for your machine.

Is the machinery handbook 29th edition the best one for manual machining ?.
Dose it explain chip loads and nesasery fundamentals in plain English ?.
Best place to get one ?.
Ied like to get a little longer life from end mills
Thanks
: Jim that's kinda how I've been going at it, .002-.005 chip , dose that apply to carbide tooling also ?.

Last edited:
When squaring the side of a block for example, how much of the side of the tool is used? Maybe depth of cut is what I'm asking, but that does not sound quite right for milling the side of a piece.

Maybe it will become clear once I understand more, but I'm not sure how that relates to feed, speed and chip load.

Looks like the name is actually Machinery's Handbook. Pricey. Hardcover only. About $100. Geeze.

Back