Speeds and Feeds - Aluminium

I use whatever my lathe was last set at. Aluminum isn't picky. You can get an excellent finish from 200 - 2000 rpm. The 'official' speeds are only a guideline, and they are optimized toward production - i.e. "what's the fastest I can go?". Don't be afraid to slow down (unless you're selling your labor...).

GsT

Interesting. I assume you need to adjust the feed rate if you slow down the spindle speed to reach the desired SFM for finishing? Or is that not how it works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a hobby machinist, I use 250 for the SFM of aluminum with a HSS cutter. The formula (the easy way) ends up being 1,000 / bit diameter (workpiece if using the lathe) in inches = RPM

For example, 1000 / .5 = 2,000 RPM for a half inch cutter. This always gets me in the ballpark, quickly. I don't use online calculators, nor do I trust the catalogs for SFM.

In your example, I'd run that part much closer to 1,500 RPM. It's conservative, but I'm not a production shop and I'm not trying to make more parts faster.

I also use HSS for aluminum on my lathe. Carbide likes to take big cuts, and HSS is much better when sneaking up on a dimension. Because I've purchased used machines and tool boxes a few times, I have several lifetimes of HSS blanks. Grining them isn't difficult once you get some experience.

Thanks for the reply. I’d seen a similar formula on a YouTube video before, but couldn’t remember which one. I’d guess if I’m using carbide I’d need to almost double the numbers you quoted? Or just use HSS for aluminium. I also have a lifetime supply from buying old machines that came with a bunch of ‘extra stuff’, I’ve just never learned to correctly grind them. I guess I probably should.

Thanks for the reply. I’d seen a similar formula on a YouTube video before, but couldn’t remember which one. I’d guess if I’m using carbide I’d need to almost double the numbers you quoted? Or just use HSS for aluminium. I also have a lifetime supply from buying old machines that came with a bunch of ‘extra stuff’, I’ve just never learned to correctly grind them. I guess I probably should.

There's a ton of YT vids on grinding HSS. It's not difficult once you learn the basics.
For carbide you can bump your RPM 50% at least.

Back