Speed handle for 5" mill vises?

Looks good Ken,
I had some time today, so I set up to run 2 of these at once from 1 piece of stock, they came out pretty good about 6" long, 5/8" thick with .635 hex for 5/8".
If anyone would like either of them I'll post em up in the trade forum. Trade for tools, stock, aluminium or steel, endmills or whatever you got I'll consider.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Making your own speed wrench is a great practice exercise. Here are some pictures of one I made for my Kurt 6" vise. I made it out of a spare 3/4" deep well 6 point socket laying around my shop, welded to some shaped scrap metal. It has a swivel handle with a plastic bushing and it works great. Not particularly pretty, but I was more interested in trying to learn how to cut tapers and make a swivel handle. The entire project took a lazy afternoon piddling in my shop.2015Nov-01.JPG 2015Nov-02.JPG 2015Nov-03.JPG 2015Nov-04.JPG

Regards,
Terry

Ive made a small batch in sizes commonly found on vises, other than 3/4.

14mm, 9/16, 5/8 and 17mm. On average, ive sold about 1 per week on ebay. Oddly, the 14mm seems to be the most popular.

My favorite vise handle is a cutoff wrench of the appropriate size with a large ball bearing welded to the end. Mine is about 1 1/4" dia that I bought off ebay. You can spin it with your finger and has great leverage to tighten. Saw it first on oxtoolco's your tube channel.

vise speed handle.JPG

Back