[How do I?] Speed Control.

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Can anyone advise on a speed control for a 240v single phase 50hz. motor 1.5 hp.

Thanks Bob.

Try eBay "ac motor speed control" look for "pwm" and give one a try. Dirt cheap

Thanks guys, will try the eBay option first, I assume PWM stands for phase width modulation.

[QUOTE="bobshobby, post: 404526, member: 42123 I assume PWM stands for phase width modulation.[/QUOTE]

Pulse Width Modulation

Ted

Usually it is not possible to vary the speed on a single speed ac motor whether it is capacitor start or run or centrifugal switch start type. Your choices would be a 3-phase motor with vfd controller or a dc motor (various controllers avail)
Mark S.

I should add to that you CAN vary the speed on some small induction motors with a simple triac "light dimmer" type of control but the effect is very non-linear and only works over a limited range. Fans and blowers for example.
FWIW
Mark S.

Yeah...I agree it won't work great, and the only things i've used them on were fans. They will control the speed somewhat., but motor speed will vary with changing loads....a lot....

Assuming these little gizmos are no good at all, they say 220 V AC., Might they work on 110 V AC? if so, how should it be wired. I have one, it has four screw terminals. The two on the ends are common, ie., they are connected with a trail of solder to each other and appear to connect to nothing else. The left hand pair say "IN", the right hand pair say "OUT."The two in the middle go to the thing mounted on the heat sink. If I wanted to control a fan, how would I wire it?

Assuming these little gizmos are no good at all, they say 220 V AC., Might they work on 110 V AC? if so, how should it be wired. I have one, it has four screw terminals. The two on the ends are common, ie., they are connected with a trail of solder to each other and appear to connect to nothing else. The left hand pair say "IN", the right hand pair say "OUT."The two in the middle go to the thing mounted on the heat sink. If I wanted to control a fan, how would I wire it?

If you are talking about a fan controller, it might work on 120V, but it might not have the range that you would have when connect to 240V equipment and power. For 120V, connect the neutral (normally white) to the common terminals, and the hot side (normally black) to the switched terminals. Run the ground separate.

Back