Space to install PM-1340GT lathe and PM 9x35 Knee mill

Kamloopsendo

Registered
Registered
I've ordered a PM-1340GT lathe from Matt at QMT and my plan is to get the mill next year once I've got the lathe up and running. The space I have is a wall about 15 & 1/2 feet long with one end of the wall simply ending in the middle of my shop so figured I'd put the mill here at the end of the wall open to the room so I'd have very good access. Figured I'd set the lathe (70" long) along the wall next to the mill. I'm planning on using about 11 feet of wall for the lathe and mill as I have a Biocircle parts washer at the far end of the wall where the wall butts into the corner ( the parts washer only comes about 2 & 1/2 feet out along the wall so there would be room between it and the tail end of the lathe).
I've never used a mill and am only guessing that it will tie up about 5 feet of space (part of which will extend beyond the end of the wall I'm backing it up to).
Not sure if this is clear but if anyone has thoughts on this I'd appreciate it as I'm going to pull wire and mount cabinets for the VFD's pretty soon to be ready for the lathe's arrival.
Thanks again for the thoughts and help everyone.
Alex

Congratulations on the lathe. Sounds like you have it figured pretty good. Lots of good times ahead I'm sure. Post some pictures when it arrives, we all like to see pictures.
Cheers
Martin

I've never used a mill and am only guessing that it will tie up about 5 feet of space (part of which will extend beyond the end of the wall I'm backing it up to).
Don't know what mill you have in mind, but they take up more space than you might think. If you take the width of the table, including the X axis crank handles, and add the travel that the table is capable of traversing, that would be the bare minimum side to side space necessary. If it is a knee mill with a turret and ram, you will need more room in all directions to use that capability. You also need room to clear the Z and Y handles while working and for getting stuff in and out of the area. Access for a small cart to the mill is quite desirable for larger mills for heavier work and tooling. My smallish Millrite knee mill has a 8x32" table, but requires 74" wide and 54" deep as the barest minimum, and that is just for the mill, not including access to it. Mills often fit pretty well into a corner on a diagonal to the corner, but that does limit stock length. My mill is inline between a rolling Lista type tool cabinet and the lathe headstock. I sometimes put long mill work through the lathe spindle to handle the length, and for lathe work I put long stock that passes beyond the lathe spindle left end through a bushing held in the mill vise to support it. A lathe or a mill can work on projects much larger than the machines themselves, so you need to think outside the envelope of the machines themselves, outside the box. Keith Fenner put a hole in the wall of his shop with removable plugs inside and outside of the wall to handle long stock protruding through the lathe spindle.

Edit: I see in your title that you are considering a PM-935 mill. That mill is larger than my Millrite and will have longer travels and space requirements. There may be a manual for that machine online, perhaps here on H-M, that shows the machine envelope. If not, Matt would probably send you that information.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the lathe. Sounds like you have it figured pretty good. Lots of good times ahead I'm sure. Post some pictures when it arrives, we all like to see pictures.
Cheers
Martin
Figured out is a bit of an overstatement but at least some of the decisions are made!
Alex

Don't know what mill you have in mind, but they take up more space than you might think. If you take the width of the table, including the X axis crank handles, and add the travel that the table is capable of traversing, that would be the bare minimum side to side space necessary. If it is a knee mill with a turret and ram, you will need more room in all directions to use that capability. You also need room to clear the Z and Y handles while working and for getting stuff in and out of the area. Access for a small cart to the mill is quite desirable for larger mills for heavier work and tooling. My smallish Millrite knee mill has a 8x32" table, but requires 74" wide and 54" deep as the barest minimum, and that is just for the mill, not including access to it. Mills often fit pretty well into a corner on a diagonal to the corner, but that does limit stock length. My mill is inline between a rolling Lista type tool cabinet and the lathe headstock. I sometimes put long mill work through the lathe spindle to handle the length, and for lathe work I put long stock that passes beyond the lathe spindle left end through a bushing held in the mill vise to support it. A lathe or a mill can work on projects much larger than the machines themselves, so you need to think outside the envelope of the machines themselves, outside the box. Keith Fenner put a hole in the wall of his shop with removable plugs inside and outside of the wall to handle long stock protruding through the lathe spindle.

Edit: I see in your title that you are considering a PM-935 mill. That mill is larger than my Millrite and will have longer travels and space requirements. There may be a manual for that machine online, perhaps here on H-M, that shows the machine envelope. If not, Matt would probably send you that information.
Bob: Thanks for the thoughts, exactly what I need to hear. I don't anticipate working on anything long as primarily I just want the ability to fabricate stuff to facilitate fixing old motorcycle bits. That said I'm going to ask Matt, hadn't even thought of that so see if he does have a suggested envelope. My planned config will allow overlap between the lathe headstock and the space where the mill will tentatively be located.
Alex

One never knows what kind of job might come along, regardless of what is your usual mix. I needed a 1/4-20 left hand thread on a 10 foot 1/4" rod and did not have a left hand die to do the job. Rather than holding up the job for ordering a left hand die that I might never use again, I ran the rod through the spindle, enclosed it in a length of pipe, and supported the pipe in line with the spindle. Got the job done quickly and then on to the next part of the job. I would not be able to do that today because of two tool boxes in the way, only one easily movable. I would have to move the lathe to a different angle to clear them, and that is not a really big deal, but does take some effort. Keep thinking outside the box. Many machinists cannot seem to think beyond the mill vise envelope...

One never knows what kind of job might come along, regardless of what is your usual mix. I needed a 1/4-20 left hand thread on a 10 foot 1/4" rod and did not have a left hand die to do the job. Rather than holding up the job for ordering a left hand die that I might never use again, I ran the rod through the spindle, enclosed it in a length of pipe, and supported the pipe in line with the spindle. Got the job done quickly and then on to the next part of the job. I would not be able to do that today because of two tool boxes in the way, only one easily movable. I would have to move the lathe to a different angle to clear them, and that is not a really big deal, but does take some effort. Keep thinking outside the box. Many machinists cannot seem to think beyond the mill vise envelope...
Fair comment Bob, I have placed the mill (in theory at this point) at a end of a wall which is open to a fairly large area as I thought the mill was more likely to tie up space to accomodate work pieces. I do have some limitations within the shop as is and where I've tentatively positioned it is about the best spot in the shop and I'm going to have to move a number of things to accomodate it as it is.

The PM-935's overall width is 76" from the table being fully Left to fully Right.

I'd leave yourself extra on either side, more is better, but work with what you have. I have my 9x49 diagonal in a corner, and had to move it out several feet from the corner to get enough X axis clearance.

I have the perfect place. Just drop them at my shop. :laughing:

Back