south bend round column mill has a new owner!

Thanks for the post Bernie, based on our phone conversation I ran here in the first 4 speeds on the larger timing gear, approximately 1 hour in each. This has quited her down some (read alot) , I also squirted iso 32 oil where ever i thought it could get into the bearings for the pulleys, timing pulleys and bearings:)) she is on the greasy side rigt now:lmao: I don't want to pull the head apart just yet, I wanna have some idea of what I am working with, and in the process make some tooling for her. I wish the parts breakdown diagrams were a bit more specific for this side of the pulley path to the spindle, lots of info on the spindle and the back pulleys, for some reason the front pulleys do not show any bearings or bushings.

As for the sales brochure you say you found, I'd love to see it! I have found a couple on the web already for her, some of them are full of interesting stuff like accessories that could be ordered for the mill... love the price lists, 1911 in 1958 bougtnthis mill:roflmao: she has not depreciated in price over the years:whistle: They have one phamphlet that has a pretty blond in a white frilly dress posing next to the machine, that dress would not be so white if she was standing next to mine:roflmao:

rich

The round rims of the handles should not be painted,but should be polished bright.

The round rims of the handles should not be painted,but should be polished bright.
Of course you are right George...the rookie rebuilder in me painted the whole hand wheel. I plan to revisit this build sometime from now till the springtime, if it is possible I'll be redoing much of the paint. Till that time I plan to get the mechnicals working as well as possible.

bernie, thanks forr the info,, while i had much of this information already, i had no idea about the hardware cross reference, that might just come in handy!

rich

Rich,

Those hand wheels are an easy fix. Chuck the hub in your lathe. A little Scotch Brite, a little FINE grit sand paper, a little 000 steel wool, a little polish and you're done. Not a big deal to clean them up.

Steve

Rich,

Those hand wheels are an easy fix. Chuck the hub in your lathe. A little Scotch Brite, a little FINE grit sand paper, a little 000 steel wool, a little polish and you're done. Not a big deal to clean them up.

Steve

thanks steve! i'll put that on the list

rich

Back