South bend Heavy ten lathe (mountain view, CA)

with waaaaaay too many people.
Some of whom are selling lathes....

Remember, if you're my age (54) the worlds population has doubled in your lifetime. My dad explained this to me when I was a kid but I really didn't start to understand the implications until I hit my 40's and started to see the results.

So, just about any place worth being has too many people now, just the way it is.

John

with waaaaaay too many people.

Come out to my area. Not so many people here :). Of course, the 115 degree days in the summer keep them away. We have lathes, too. Back on topic, I know South Bend is a good name and all, but that still seems a bit much to me, considering the options available new.

Been to Ridgecrest, once. I spent 57yrs in the S.SanJoaquin valley and know all about over 100 from May to Oct, no thanks. Been there escaped that.

I know I’m not the mainstream here but names like South Bend and Atlas have big mojo with hobby folks. And I think if you are patient and know what you want and don’t get blinders on you can find just about anything. The deal on the Clausing Colchester in Clovis a couple of months ago for $2300 was proof. Just all depends on what you do.

What is with all the lathes in California?

California had a lot of industry in the past (still has a little today), several truck and heavy equipment builders (Moreland, Kleiber, Holt, Gorham, Hall Scott, Vanpelt, Fageol / Peterbilt), a few small gun makers, a booming aircraft industry (Lockheed, Douglas, Convair, Martin, Vultee, Hiller and Ryan were started here), ship building, large factories for GM and Ford. The Nuumi plant in Fremont was built as a joint GM / Toyota venture, later Toyotas only and now builds Teslas.

The cool vintage tools that many hobbyists like came from a time when California made a lot of stuff besides tech millionaires. Even used to make some machine and wood working tools, Benchmaster, Comet, Diamond Tool Company, Davis & Wells and Rotex are a few I know of. Not so vintage but the Sherline mini-lathes / mills are currently made in Socal.

I was talking to a guy who‘s relatives worked in the fishing industry here and in its heyday there were a bunch of machine shops. One of the smaller ones was where I got my Atlas shaper. There is also several small manufacturers like myself that work out of our garages.

One yard/estate sale I went to the guy was a world class racing boat cyLinder head designer. He would machine the heads out of aluminum to test the design then copy the design in laminated mahogany to be used to cast the heads with. His son showed me what was left of his shop. He was keeping his fathers 9” South Bend. Sold his Bridgeport and his big tablesaw etc. One small storage room was probably 6’x15’ with one side covered in racks that were full of those wooden heads floor to ceiling. Each one was a work of art. The son lived in Santa Barbara and planned on having them on display in his house. I know I would have.

Back