South Bend Heavy 10 Turret Lathe Reaquaintance

Redmech

Registered
Registered
I purchased this Lathe in 1996, I was 16 years old, took a loan out from the bank (my first ever). I purchased it from an AT&T factory closing down in Lee Summit Missouri. I was in high school and going thru the Machine Tool program at vo-tech. My dad's good friend ran a production machine shop, the plan was I was going to fabricate parts for him. I ran this lathe a few hours, but never did do any production work. I drilled a zillion holes on a drill press for my dad's friend for some brackets. I graduated high school and left the Machinist career path and went into heavy equipment repair. I've done that ever since. One of my main interests is knife making and anything outdoors. I'm getting close to buying a Milling machine and have decided to get this lathe cleaned up and powered up. Its probably been 17 years since its had power hooked up to it. Trying to figure out where I want to put it in my basement. Making room, fighting my stuff and family stuff, always trying to win back real estate.

I had powered this lathe with a 5HP 3 phase motor with single phase 220 hooked up to the motor, I'd turn power onto the 5HP motor, get the motor spinning thru the use of a rope, then that would create 3 phase 220 power to run the lathe. I'm kind of thinking of putting a phase converter of some sort, or maybe I should just change the motor. I'm open to suggestions. I have a new baby coming this summer, and with the purchase of a mill I'm on even more of a shoe string budget than ever.

Nothing compliments a mill like a lathe and vice versa.

I'm working on finding a home for it at my home and not my buddies shop. I have enough power to run either my mill or my lathe at a time, surely not both, but there is only one of me.

On to pics as the Lathe sits at my friends shop,

Anyone know what age this machine is? It has had a Sony DRO added to it at one point, and it worked last time it had power.

Untitled by redmech, on Flickr

Nice old machine! A bit odd, actually, to see a production lathe with an accessory like a threading dial. That will come in handy if you thread parts single-point in the lathe.

As you asked, lathe can be roughly dated by the nameplate. Amsted owned South Bend between 1959 and 1975, when it became an employee-owned company on threat of closure. So, the old boy is from somewhere in there....wish I could come closer.

Possibly look at getting a vfd for it, 220v single phase into the vfd, 220v 3 phase out. Plus vfd's give other features that are nice like how fast it speeds up and slows down, some variable speed, etc. I run a vfd on my heavy 10 but mine is only the original 3/4 hp 220v 3 phase.

Thanks, I don't have it home yet, I saw where if I get the number off the tail end of the bed, that would have more info on its manufacturing date.

The Lathe is now in my basement. Now to clean her up some, then move it to its final resting spot. The number stamped on the bed is 16204RKT13. I'll add a pic or two soon.

Does this number mean it was built around 1949? That one link made it look like 16204 fell into that era, am I reading it wrong?

Last edited:
I know it will be a great lathe for you once you get it cleaned up and oiled again. Great range of threads on the gearbox == Congrats -- Jack

Saturday I started cleaning on the lathe, Sunday morning/this morning I decided to tear it down, wire wheel everything and do a degreasing, and repaint. I remember I need to buy a carriage lock, this one is broke, I'd also like to find a different cross feed, one that isn't as tall, and that I can adjust the angle on, are standard tail stocks easy to find?

South bend lathe by redmech, on Flickr

Back