south bend-9 troubles

gonzo

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
he worm in my compound has been sticking and applying oil to it does no good.

Obviously I must take it out and I have removed the key leaving the pin still in.

It appears that the pin was driven in from the outside and hitting it from the inside doesn't look viable.

I am assuming that the pin is what holds the end ring in place ( or not ).

Any guidance in removing the worm would be valuable.

So would a parts breakdown.

Can anyone help me?

Hi gonzo,

I'm not sure if you mean the compound slide lead screw.
Supplying a picture would help.

You don't say exactly what model and year, but this document:
http://hobby-machinist.com/resources/1935-repair-parts-for-south-bend-lathes-bulletin-19-b-pdf.2869/
(Repair Parts for South Bend Lathes from 1935 covering 9" to 18" models)

has this on page 10:
upload_2017-6-30_12-12-59.png

and this on page 11:
upload_2017-6-30_12-13-25.png

If the above does not apply to your lathe, you might check for other useful documents here:
http://hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/south-bend.34/

-brino

Oh gawd! My 75 year old brain has failed me again.
When I typed compound, I really meant apron. My face is red.
Anyhow, here is photos of the worm I am trying to remove from the APRON.
I hope they help.MVC-016L.JPG MVC-017L.JPG MVC-017L.JPG MVC-018L.JPG

It's been a few years since I rebuilt the one I have. I think you're going to have to take everything else off the apron before the worm can be removed. The pin has to be removed as shown in yu picture, then the nut should come off easily. Don't remember if it is a right handed thread or if it's left hand.

Oh gawd! My 75 year old brain has failed me again.
When I typed compound, I really meant apron. My face is red.

No worries!
The pdf in my link above does have some exploded views and parts list of the apron, but likely not the detail you need.
I'm sure someone will be along with the details.......
-brino

You are trying to get that pin out, correct? Why can't you just knock that pin into the hole? Or use a C Clamp with a socket on the out side to press the pin out?

You are trying to get that pin out, correct? Why can't you just knock that pin into the hole? Or use a C Clamp with a socket on the out side to press the pin out?
Actually, that's what did but I was worried that it was a tapered pin. However I took a chance and was able to knock it to the inside.
Sadly, what I thought was the trouble wasn't and now I am thinking it is in the gear box. It appears that I will have to take the head off to get the gear box screws out. A fearful undertaking.

because it is a a tapered pin, you need to use a small pin punch from the inside and knock it out. Set it up so the pin is facing either up or down and you should not have a problem.

Back