South Bend 9" Model A Stiff Change Gears

MUSKRAT

Registered
Registered
Hope i'm in the correct area to ask this question. on a South Bend 9" model A, Catalog # c1644y, length 3, serial 50036nax10, there is also number B100NKG on the back bed rail. Was told it was made in 1947. It was setting for several years and was used for wood turning. I oiled it up and spindle runs free and easy. The change gears shift free but are stiff running. How do you get to the change gears behind the model label plate to lube the gears. It looks like a lot of work to remove the assembly. Will I have to remove the assembly?

Isn't there a oiling git on the top left of the quick change gear box? My SB9A is a 1947 model and has an oiling git on the top left.
It really isn't too hard to pull the QCGB--the hardest thing on mine was get the screws loose, but a hand impact works pretty good on them.

There are two little oiling ports with spring flip caps on them, one at the top on each end of the gear box. (I found out it has a double tumbler gear box). I filled them and the oil slowly goes down out of site when running. The lathe has freed up a lot in the lower speed gears but really stiff in the higher ones. Is the oil thru those little ports sufficient for the gears?

Could be the quick change gear box is crudded up with wood dust. If it is, oiling is not going to help. The gear box needs to be taken off and soaked in mineral spirits and even taken apart to some degree to remove as much of the wood dust as you can. Then thoroughly oil the gear box. This should free the gearing up and get it running like it should. If not, a total tear down and cleaning will be required to fix the problem.

Sawdust and metal working machinery do not go well together, especially on a lathe like a SB that has a total-loss oiling system. You really need to perform a complete tear down on the entire lathe and replace the oil wicks.

I'll be taking it down and try to get the gear box off next week. Thanks for all the replies.

Back