South Bend 13" CL145B

ADK_MechETech

Registered
Registered
I've been browsing around all the local classifieds and on ebay for a small machine to put in my basement to make me feel better about not having access to a machine shop anymore.

I found a 13" SB locally that appears to be from 1966. Other than some missing paint which is to be expected, it looks like it is in good shape. The cross slide has been scraped in and the lead screw replaced. The spindle bearings are tight and it comes with a 6j/4j/3j chuck, taper attachment, collet drawbar & nose, along with some other accessories.

I know price depends a lot on condition and location, but what is a good starting point for something like this assuming the ways are in good shape too? I mean the 6J bison chuck is probably worth at least $500 by itself....

When figuring out an offer it helps to know what the machine was worth new.
Then add in the price of the accessories. Its the accessories that quickly drive up the price.
If the machine is in real nice shape the original price may be close to the current price point.
Some pictures would help the forum members with more expertise nail down a digit.
lk

I went to look at it during lunch today. Everything seems to be in good working order and tight. The only issue was that the quill on the tailstock was bound up tight. The guy is going to take care of it regardless of whether I decide to buy it or not. It's quiet and smooth and already has a green rubber type replacement belt. All the safety stuff can be easily removed if I want. The QCTP has a small selection of holders and the three chucks are all in good shape as are the collet parts.

The only issue was that the quill on the tailstock was bound up tight. The guy is going to take care of it regardless of whether I decide to buy it or not.
The tailstock handwheel has been repaired.
It's quiet and smooth and already has a green rubber type replacement belt. All the safety stuff can be easily removed if I want. The QCTP has a small selection of holders and the three chucks are all in good shape as are the collet parts.
Even if the motor voltage is correct for your application and the tailstock has not been dropped, the steady rests and other accessories add up quickly.
Another member here at THM upped this:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/south-bend-machine-tools-1967-catalog-6801.3145/
Your lathe and all of the extras is listed in there.
lk

The tailstock handwheel has been repaired.

Yeah, the brass "handle" is obviously not original and poorly improvised, but I'm not that concerned about looks.

Nice E stop

Yeah, it came from a school which explains the safety stuff. Honestly, after looking at it, there is very little actual wear on the machine. Other than some minor broken things (reversing tumbler handle had been repaired) and the tailstock, it seemed to be in really good shape.

I'm still eyeing a Maximat Super 11 that has been for sale locally for a while too. I just haven't found the time to go look at it.

I really want to put my 2 cents in but just don't know enough that would make it worth 2 cents.So I will just give a pennys worth,at 4k I would think that should buy you alot of lathe anywhere's.----kroll the guy who would love a lathe like that:)

Back