Sources for 4x6 Bandsaw Modifications....

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
The 4x6 bandsaw is like a kit that has to be refined once you purchase it from Harbor Freight or one of the other suppliers. In this thread, we list sources of information on bandsaw modifications that you can make yourself.

Enjoy!

Best,

Nelson

Dear Management... Ask and you shall receive. And in this topic, I think you'll receive more than you can imagine!

So, here's a cheap, quick and dirty mod. 4 pieces of angle iron that raise the height sanely enough to save your back. Also widens the base and prevents tip-overs and uses all the existing bolts and bolt holes. This makes the flimsy metal legs much stronger. Just drill holes in 4 pieces of angle iron.

This is the only mod I've ever done to this thing. -Bought it new 3 years ago. I use the daylights out of it and cuts straight and clean. I can't begin to imagine how many blades and how much metal dust this thing has seen...

BTW: you'll notice it's located near a drill press. I sometimes lower the drill press table to help with long pieces that need support. Of course, I also made some simple adjustable stands.

Ray

Bandsaw.JPG

Bandsaw.JPG

We have the same exact saw. It does do a pretty good job and we have used it hard. I seem to go through a lot of blades though. Being I am fairly new to such equipment it is hard to say if I am doing something wrong or what the life of a blade on such a piece of equipment should be. It does do a good job though for our needs. I want to do some mods on it but just haven't gotten to it yet so thanks Management for the links.
Two things I don't understand how to set are the blade tension pressure and the downward pressure. I know how to set them but not how much.

Have a great day!

Ed

It's a quintessential workhorse with probably millions of them out there.

Basic cutting pressure is set by rigging-up a scale where it cuts, and adjust the spring until the force is around 7 lbs. From there, you adjust up/down to your preferences. Do this once, get the feel for it -and the rest will be history.

Tension: If the blade falls off, it's too loose.

I'm not going to elaborate on the issue of blade preference but, mine last between 1 and 3 months. 50% fail because of a piece jamming or, I accidentally drop the blade on a piece. That puts a "hump" in it and it won't last long after that. Other 50% give-up because the weld seam gives-up. This is universal behavior for all blades and I was once foolish enough to pay for premium blades at 1.5 - 2x the cost of the type I now typically get.

Ray

BTW: During a month's time, it's not uncommon for that machine to be rolling for darn near 10 hours straight for several days in row... I'd like to obtain it's "big brother" version some day.

We have the same exact saw. It does do a pretty good job and we have used it hard. I seem to go through a lot of blades though. Being I am fairly new to such equipment it is hard to say if I am doing something wrong or what the life of a blade on such a piece of equipment should be. It does do a good job though for our needs. I want to do some mods on it but just haven't gotten to it yet so thanks Management for the links.
Two things I don't understand how to set are the blade tension pressure and the downward pressure. I know how to set them but not how much.

Have a great day!

Ed

Back
Top Bottom