Source of cheap turning stock?

Local recycler. No kidding. Probably no brass though.

You price sounded high for brass (probably not at the recycler) so I looked it up at McMaster-Carr. A piece of 360 round 3/4 x 72" is only $78. Something doesn't sound right with the price you said at the beginning, and McMaster has a reputation for being a little more expensive on most things.

Check around the internet metal suppliers. When I did, I noticed under 20 bucks + shipping.

I just checked Metal Supermarket's Web site and it quoted $35.00 for 1' x3/4" of 360. Crazy.

I have a "local" metal recycler, about 40 miles drive. Steel is about $0.25/lb, aluminium is about $1.5/lb. Brass is a LOT more, perhaps $4-5/lb. I purchased a 1 ft piece over a year ago. I do not recall what I paid.

As Bill Gruby mentioned, what dimensions do you need. My "local" recycler has lots of short offcuts of aluminium. I have picked up many such pieces. Most round stock, but the last trip I picked up some plate and some pieces of block. The selections wary each time I visit, but the price is good for the items I take home.

Not around here. Pretty much full retail for drop. Only good place around here is 90 miles in Wichita. Called "The Yard". They sell a lot of drop from the aircraft industry (I guess). http://www.theyardwichita.com/ follow links to the aluminum or steel sections. Pretty much just have to go there and wonder around. Lots and lots of smaller chunks.

You'd be surprised what happens when you get to know the owners. Introduce yourself and let them know why you want the drops. The price will go down.

"Billy G"

I went to school and hung around with the owner of the largest machine shop in the area. On occasion he will slip me something for beer money. Most often I expected to go to the office where the help could give a sh*t who I am or what I am using the metal for. The other shops I've been to (I haven't lived here for 30 years) don't seem to have owners that are accessible. Where I lived before (Idaho) I was able to get good, clean drop at a number of places. Believe me, I've tried here for 3 years and visited every shop in the area but no luck.

Back