[Source of] 1020 steel?

n7gtb

Registered
Registered
Greetings all,

I'm new to this subject, and while this question has likely come up in one form or another, my search of the forum didn't really yield a suitable answer (yet)... My question is, where can I find small quantity of 1020 steel? The dimension I'm looking for is 1" x 3/8" x 24". I've checked online sources like speedy and online metals, but they both list A36 which (from what I've been reading) is apples and boomerangs... If I understand the differences correctly, one is a strength specification, and the other is composition.

I have some parts to make, from material spec'd as 070M20, which from what I can tell (from internet searches), is similar to 1020(?)

Thanks in advance,
-Vern
Kennewick, WA.

Last edited:
You're not going to find 1020 in flat bar, only 1018 or like you said A36. Even my Jorgensen Book list only 1018. 1020 is something of the past. Now, I know it can be bought in other countries as grade C20, but you will not find it here in the states unless you get lucky and find someone who special ordered it as a "boat load" from other parts of the World.

Here's Speedy Metals listing for 1018

https://www.speedymetals.com/pc-439-8213-38-x-2-cold-finished-1018.aspx

1018 is Cold-drawn Bar stock
Typically 1020 was used in reference to Hot-rolled sheet

Back