Source for serpentine belt ?

dbb-the-bruce

Dave
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Ok, so I quit my whining about taking the headstock apart:
Spindle.png

Two questions, who is a good source for serpentine belts? Last time I checked I fell down the rabbit hole of specific belts for specific cars. Could not find a place to order a belt by length. I was hopping to just order one from McMaster or MSC and get it tomorrow, but got lost in there catalogs. If I can't find one that I can get quick, I'll just go with the nylon/rubber belts from Al Bino.

Second, what's with the little wire thing on the right side middle of the picture?
It was wrapped around the front of the spindle when the spindle came out. The only thing the ILION book mentions is four "oil control" clips. I don't think this fits the bill. It looks like a thin AL foil strip. It's .007 thick and about .065 wide. Not long enough to have been all the way around the large spindle diameter, but was wrapped around the large spindle bearing surface end. It was not between any of the other stuff captured by the spindle.

-Dave

The belt part number is the belt size. The only issue is some give it in inches, some in metric. Check Dayco, Gates, Continental websites for their specifics.

You should be able to walk into the nearest auto parts store and get what you need on the spot. No need to order and wait. Just tell them how wide and how long you want. Took the guy at my NAPA store longer to ring up my purchase than it did to find what I needed.
If you have the old belt, take it with for easy comparison.
Is is possible that piece of AL is just swarf?

Thanks everyone - knowing that the length is in the part number made it much easier to find. @MrWhoopee I had intended to go with splicing a new belt in but this overhaul is a result of an abrasive grit mishap. The lathe is about 10 yr old in my possession, it was pretty darn clean when I got it but had been excessively "greased". I scrapped as much of the grease as I could easily get to off have been using it just fine.

The abrasive incident meant that I really needed to get inside at least some of the lathe, and as it goes the deeper I went the more it became apparent that I should just to a full break down and clean. So might as well install a solid belt while it's apart.

At this point the only thing left that hasn't been broken down is the quick change gear box. I'm sure it's fine and it can be dealt with at a later point in time on it's own.

My ten years of use had contributed significantly to any previously accumulated crud. I did a bunch of small wood parts on it initially so there was a fair amount of wood dust and chips in the mix. The motor was just caked with it.

Now that it's fully cleaned and de-greased, I'll be using the correct oils and it should be a lot easier to keep clean.

Is is possible that piece of AL is just swarf?
Yeah, I think you are right.

It sure looked like it was intended to be wrapped around the spindle. However on much closer inspection it does appear to be swarf. It is very consistent in thickness and width - but also has well defined micro-ridges that run the length of it maintaining the same profile along the way. Just what you would expect from a slightly rough cutting edge.

Was puzzling how it got in there and came out through the bearing casting. Looking more at the assembly, I'm guessing that it got wrapped around spindle before the large back gear. That part is open enough and it's the first step down of the spindle. So must have wrapped tightly around and then just went along for the ride through the casting.

Yeah, that aluminum strip is just swarf. Not part of your lathe (as sent from the factory).

Back