source for belts and sprockets?

TRX

Active User
Registered
Is there a preferred source for timing belts and sprockets for CNC conversions?

I can keep chips out with some simple shields, but keeping (water based) coolant out completely would be much harder.

Belts seem to be "poly", rubber/Kevlar, Neoprene, and a few other materials. At first glance it doesn't look like a bit of soluble oil would hurt any of them, but I figured it was better to ask than to jump in blindly...

I got my belts and sprockets from McMaster. Probably not the cheapest, but they have a nice selection. As I recall, the belts are neoprene with kevlar backing.

I purchased the "machined" sprockets and drilled/reamed them to the right size to fit my motors/lead screws rather than purchasing the QD versions. All said and done, I probably spent more on the broaches/reamers required than I saved by not going with QD versions. The result has been working fine though, and I have no complaints.

I got my timing belt pulleys from QTP (quality transmission products)...
my belts come off ebay, from polybelt and hcisupplyco, hcisupplyco had gates powergrip belts.

Agreed mcmaster carr is great. anything I order is 1 day shipping, and looking around their website a often find things I didn't even know existed.

Mcmaster carr, MSC, Grainger.... they're all awesome. Between those 3, if you can't find it there , it probably doesn't exist. The downside is they're all pricey. Sometimes you can find the same item at a specialty site for far far less. Gotta love the internet.

MotionTek is where I get my small pulleys and belts. Great selection, quick shipping, just North of the Canadian Border. Great bunch to deal with too.
Bob

Back