Source for .140 (9/64") brass or SS rod.

ejames

Active User
Registered
I've been using .140 brass rod to make a "pick" in the pipe tampers that I make. Found what I had on Ebag about a year ago but have been unable to locate anymore. Seems to be a non-standard size as none of the metal suppliers I have checked carry it- and I have checked with a bunch of them.
Anyone know where I might be able to find .140 rod in either brass or SS?
Tampers For Sale 10-17-13 2013-10-17 005.JPG

Tampers For Sale 10-17-13 2013-10-17 005.JPG

You might find find something suitable as welding rod. Not positive of the size available, but a variety of materials. Check LWS.

McMaster has brass (alloy 360) in that size.

I've seen some oddball diameters listed on Amazon from time to time. Mcmaster Carr has just about everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Gents! I looked on McMaster-Carr earlier today but didn't see any that size. Will look again. Never occurred to me to check on Amazon!

Is 0.140" OD a critical dimension for the proper function of that piece?
If not, there are a lot of welding rods in stainless steel or brass that are close to the target OD of .140"

5/32" (0.156") welding rods are standard and they are available in stainless steel, brass or other alloys.
After sanding and polishing the size could be reduced even smaller.
3.5 mm (0.138") rods are available too in metric sizes.
It's only .002" less in OD but would that make a lot of difference?

If that OD of 0.140" is highly critical and cannot be changed is there a way you can enlighten us why that is so for that project?

Is 0.140" OD a critical dimension for the proper function of that piece?
If not, there are a lot of welding rods in stainless steel or brass that are close to the target OD of .140"

5/32" (0.156") welding rods are standard and they are available in stainless steel, brass or other alloys.
After sanding and polishing the size could be reduced even smaller.
3.5 mm (0.138") rods are available too in metric sizes.
It's only .002" less in OD but would that make a lot of difference?

If that OD of 0.140" is highly critical and cannot be changed is there a way you can enlighten us why that is so for that project?

The pick on the tampers must be able to go through the airway drilled in the shank of the pipe. Most airways are drilled to 4mm or 5/32".
I could use any kind of rod that doesn't corrode easily,but prefer brass or SS.
I bought some 5/32" C360 brass to see if I could turn it down. That hasn't proved very successful and creates a lot of extra work as I polish those picks to remove all machining and grinding marks-- I grind a flat on one side so that the pick can be used for light scraping in the bowl also. Gonna play with it some more,but also keep looking for 9/64" rod.

5/32" brass rod is not that hard to reduce to 9/64" (.140") if you employ a box tool or some kind of setup , like a follower support rest, that could constantly fix the cutting tool tip distance from the opposite surface of the rod being machined to a few thousands over .140" to allow some loss in polishing or sanding.

Here's an older forum thread showing different versions of follower rests that are perfect for machining thin rods

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/7495-Follower-rest

Last edited:
Back