Sort of new guy

SLS11650

Registered
Registered
I have been here several years but I’m pretty sure this is my first post. Guess I have to do this 3 times to show I’m not a robot?

Been messing around with 9” South Bends for quite awhile and mostly use them for projects having to do with vintage British motorcycles.

I do have a question though about a modelA I have recently purchased on eBay but have yet to actually see as my son, who lives closer to the seller, picked it up for me. Any way my question involves the original stand and how the horizontal drive attaches to it. The seller told me that there is supposed to be support but that it is missing. I need info on this part in order to make a new one, or if anyone has a spare I would be glad to purchase.

I can't help you with your problem, but congrats on your first post. Someone(s) will be along soon to help.

Hi welcome to posting on HM,
I have and had both bench mounted and under mounted motor South Bends. Usually the "stand" models have the motor & counter shaft mounted below the headstock and the bench mounted models have the motor and counter shaft mounted "horizontally" behind the headstock. So I need more info on specifically what part you need. Can you post pictures of what you have?

Welcome aboard. Lots of South Bend owners here so I'm sure you will get assistance.

Welcome, how about some pics of your vintage bikes. Pretty please.

That's interesting I have never seen one like that. Here is a dimensioned drawing from the 63 catalog:
SB Lathe .jpg

Thanks to everyone who replied. Got some great info, particuarly from Eddyde, exactly what I needed.
I’d be glad to post some bike pics if that is appropriate here.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Got some great info, particuarly from Eddyde, exactly what I needed.
I’d be glad to post some bike pics if that is appropriate here.
Awesome. I recommend starting a new thread under FORUMS - THE MEMBERS' AREA - THE MEMBERS' HANGOUT (OFF-TOPIC Discussions).

Back