Soooo... the movers dropped my lathe

d_limiter

Registered
Registered
Howdy,

I'm a long time lurker, but a recent problem pushed me to register to get some advice. I recently bought a Enco Maximat V10 lathe off of Craigslist, and arranged to have a moving company get it to my garage. Long story short, the moving company subcontracted the job and the typical two strong guys showed up and promptly dropped my lathe while moving it up the ramp into the truck. I wasn't there (I was waiting for delivery and making space in my garage), but the previous owner said the lathe rolled over onto it's back.

The visible damage includes: most handwheels are broken off the shafts, the lead screw bracket is smashed, and the gear lever is snapped off. I feel most of this is fixable (in theory). So the question I have is the alignment of the ways likely to be Fubar? Do you think it's worth the effort to make/source parts, or is the accuracy and integrity of the machine likely to be beyond repair? I really want a running lathe and don't need a long term project, so should I just look for another deal on Craigslist?

For the record, the movers have insurance, but bad insurance. I'll likely get a token payment.

Thanks in advance,

David

Howdy,

I'm a long time lurker, but a recent problem pushed me to register to get some advice. I recently bought a Enco Maximat V10 lathe off of Craigslist, and arranged to have a moving company get it to my garage. Long story short, the moving company subcontracted the job and the typical two strong guys showed up and promptly dropped my lathe while moving it up the ramp into the truck. I wasn't there (I was waiting for delivery and making space in my garage), but the previous owner said the lathe rolled over onto it's back.

The visible damage includes: most handwheels are broken off the shafts, the lead screw bracket is smashed, and the gear lever is snapped off. I feel most of this is fixable (in theory). So the question I have is the alignment of the ways likely to be Fubar? Do you think it's worth the effort to make/source parts, or is the accuracy and integrity of the machine likely to be beyond repair? I really want a running lathe and don't need a long term project, so should I just look for another deal on Craigslist?

For the record, the movers have insurance, but bad insurance. I'll likely get a token payment.

Thanks in advance,

David

Oh Man! That hurts. If hand wheels, levers and brackets are broken likely the shafts they are attached to have sustained some damage as have the gearbox and apron internals. Maximat's are nice machines. That's a tough decision.

Tom S.

Man, that sucks. I'm sure you are, but as a reminder; contact the insurance companies of both the original mover and the subcontractor. Don't shy away from having a lawyer send a letter and/or filing with a small claims court if needed.

David, welcome to H-M. Sorry to hear that your decision to register was due to the damage to your lathe. Years ago I had my heart set on a Maximat 10 but time changes things and I now have a 10" Logan instead.

As Tom said, the damage very likely goes further than what initially meets the eye. Get your claims initially filed and take the time to disassemble and inspect your machine thoroughly to determine the true extent of the damage. Document the entire process with photographs and written descriptions as you go. Be as detailed as possible. Don't let them cheat you out of what you have coming. Like Groundhog said, you may need to have a lawyer send a letter or maybe even file a suit.

I recently bought a Enco Maximat V10 lathe off of Craigslist, and arranged to have a moving company get it to my garage. The visible damage includes: most handwheels are broken off the shafts, the lead screw bracket is smashed, and the gear lever is snapped off. I feel most of this is fixable (in theory). So the question I have is the alignment of the ways likely to be Fubar? Do you think it's worth the effort to make/source parts, or is the accuracy and integrity of the machine likely to be beyond repair? I really want a running lathe and don't need a long term project, so should I just look for another deal on Craigslist?

The Emco Maximat V-10 is a good lathe but you have to keep in mind that they are no longer made and no longer supported. Any parts you get will be used, although they do turn up on ebay fairly often. These parts are going to cost you because the sellers know their rarity and they will price them accordingly.

There is no way to know if only the handles broke or if the shafts they attach to are damaged; you have to inspect them. If the shafts and internals are okay and only the handles are damaged then you can probably find replacements. Don't be surprised if you have to buy the thing the handles attach to; I rarely see only the handles themselves for sale, although it does happen.

As to the alignment of the ways with the headstock, it is unlikely this will be a problem but again, you have to check the lathe. A fall can knock things out of alignment but that can usually be rectified if the headstock mount itself is not cracked.

I think you would be justified in being upset. Same goes for the seller. The moving company and subcontractor are both liable and they need to cover the cost of repair at the very least. I'm with Groundhog and would find a lawyer to deal with this. Ideally, if they cover the entire cost of the lathe and then let you have it, and the lathe, then you can accept that payment and attempt to repair it. Otherwise, it might be wiser to let it go and keep looking.

The Maximat V10 was a good lathe. You can also join the Emco Larger Lathes group and ask for info there. Size-wise, the Maximat V10 is on the smaller, consumer-grade end of the spectrum. The Super 11 and V13 were full sized lathes and much heavier and more capable. All were very accurate.

David,
I am sorry about your lathe. I think you need to get some advice from a lawyer.
Martin

If you went to a regular residential moving company I'm pretty sure their insurance is pennies per pound. They loose your entire household of stuff, pennies per pound unless you purchased extra insurance. Check out the paperwork you signed when you hired this company it should detail what is what due to a loss. I'm sorry your new to you lathe took a tumble. Before I hit post it occurred to me that your state may have consumer protection laws that may help; check with the state.

Mike

The devils advocate here
you are in for a long depressing event! :confusion: If you start out telling the moving co that you maybe able to fix it they will pounce on that and use it to stonewall you. Tell them that it is not repairable! because it is a precision machine and now will never be a useable as one! Don't be hateful, but be firm that you will peruse legal actions if they don't settle with you in a reasonable time period. They will start with the excuse that they have to wait on the insurance co. Inform them that you will use the attorney general office for guidance on the matter if they don't act promptly. Don't hesitate to inform them that this mess is their fault entirely.
good luck!!!!

This should be simple as a matter of facts.

Simply place a claim for full purchase price as minimum for starting point...but if you got a great deal then they do not need to know that.

Quickly via ebay and other sources locate an identical unit anywhere or a few and create a shopping list and simply state they can purchase any one of those "delivered" to your place by certified licensed folks.

Check theirs as well as a lack of certified folks or license to do task is leverage.

Do not let them try to screw you and do homework ahead and be prepared.

As far as they are concerned the lathe is SCRAP NOW

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I will be watching for this on People's Court.

I wouldn't hesitate to tell them they just bought the lathe. I know it's a desirable (or was) machine, but IMO, it will never be the same without extraordinary effort put into repairs. That in itself is worth a great deal. And then the tumble becomes part of the lathe's history which will hurt any resale value. I agree, talk with a lawyer at least, or inform them that it is your intention to pursue legal action if they come up short on paying for damages. But as was mentioned, if there is a disclaimer in the fine print, you may have little recourse.

Back