Sooo, who can tell me what i'm missing?

12bolts

Global Moderator
Registered
Picked up a petrol driven, 3 cyl compressor at a clearing sale last week. Honda 6.5 HP motor, (runs fine, no load). Compressor,...... so so. #2 cylinder has some corrosion pitting but otherwise seems ok #1 & #3 seem pretty good. I didnt run the compressor under power. Stripped it all down, new bearings and seals, new gaskets. Old rings, pistons etc. Most of the parts are there, (or here), depending on your point of view, or level of optimism I guess.
The flange that contains a crankshaft main bearing has a threaded hole for, presumably, a crankcase vent?IMG_0536.JPG IMG_0537.JPG

The inlet areas of the cylinder heads have a small poppet that acts directly on the inlet valve to operate as, presumably, an unloader valve. These were connected via the black plastic tubing to the petrol motor, and presumably each cylinder and thence to the receiver. However, there are 2 options at the receiver. 1 might be to the 1/4 turn ball valve, or it perhaps might go to the "safety valve". The 1/4 turn valve also connects directly to the air coming from the cylinders, but has a spring operated valve within it before the receiver. The "safety valve" has an odd threaded outlet. Neither of these items had the neccessary fitting to connect the plastic tubing to it. Either of these would appear to perform the same function, when the pressure is high enough within the plastic tubing the poppet valves force the inlet valves to open and decellerate the motor.
At the other end of the receiver is a pressure gauge, and another "safety valve" albeit, much smaller, and non-adjustable.
The other end of the the plastic tubing was connected to a fitting on the petrol motor. This fitting contains a spring loaded lever that pulls the the throttle open, but when pressurised forces the throttle lever to idle.
So I guess I'm asking the collective here, do I have it all screwed up. Or am I on the right track. I know I need something to screw into the "crankcase vent". + another poppet for the unloader valve on #3 cylinder.
The lack of a decent sized air supply outlet is a mystery also. The receiver inlet is 1 1/4", the fitting beside it is 3/4". The 3 fittings at the other end are only 1/4"

Cheers Phil

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

Picked up a petrol driven, 3 cyl compressor at a clearing sale last week. Honda 6.5 HP motor, (runs fine, no load). Compressor,...... so so. #2 cylinder has some corrosion pitting but otherwise seems ok #1 & #3 seem pretty good. I didnt run the compressor under power. Stripped it all down, new bearings and seals, new gaskets. Old rings, pistons etc. Most of the parts are there, (or here), depending on your point of view, or level of optimism I guess.
The flange that contains a crankshaft main bearing has a threaded hole for, presumably, a crankcase vent?View attachment 236719 View attachment 236720

The inlet areas of the cylinder heads have a small poppet that acts directly on the inlet valve to operate as, presumably, an unloader valve. These were connected via the black plastic tubing to the petrol motor, and presumably each cylinder and thence to the receiver. However, there are 2 options at the receiver. 1 might be to the 1/4 turn ball valve, or it perhaps might go to the "safety valve". The 1/4 turn valve also connects directly to the air coming from the cylinders, but has a spring operated valve within it before the receiver. The "safety valve" has an odd threaded outlet. Neither of these items had the neccessary fitting to connect the plastic tubing to it. Either of these would appear to perform the same function, when the pressure is high enough within the plastic tubing the poppet valves force the inlet valves to open and decellerate the motor.
At the other end of the receiver is a pressure gauge, and another "safety valve" albeit, much smaller, and non-adjustable.
The other end of the the plastic tubing was connected to a fitting on the petrol motor. This fitting contains a spring loaded lever that pulls the the throttle open, but when pressurised forces the throttle lever to idle.
So I guess I'm asking the collective here, do I have it all screwed up. Or am I on the right track. I know I need something to screw into the "crankcase vent". + another poppet for the unloader valve on #3 cylinder.
The lack of a decent sized air supply outlet is a mystery also. The receiver inlet is 1 1/4", the fitting beside it is 3/4". The 3 fittings at the other end are only 1/4"

Cheers Phil

The "safety valve" (img 0540), is an adjustable UNLOADER VALVE & should be piped to the "poppet cylinders on #1, #2, #3 heads & to the throttle control on the engine. The ring on the UNLOADER is for manual unloading. To adjust the PSI loosen the jam nut & turn the cap with the ring in to raise out to lower psi.

The pump discharge should go to a CHECK VALVE (ing 0538) Looks as if that one is too small should be 1/2 inch os 3/4 inch. I do not see a SAFETY VALVE in photos, but SAFETY VALVE is required. Bottom of tank need a water drain, Outlet to PSI REGULATOR size is your choice I recommend 3/8 inch min. The hole in the pump crankcase IS for a VENT it should have a ball check & packing in it.

Hope I helped, Fixit

INFO ONLY : search WWW GRAINGER. COM
p/n 6X208 or 6X209 check valve
p/n 45MG94 SAFETY VALVE
p/n 3X818 UNLOADER PILOT VALVE

Back