Something For SWMBO's Shop

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
I got the drill press of ebay with some missing parts. These things were build for Sears under the name of Champion Started build them in the 30's. Don't know when they stopped or how old this one is.

What was missing was a 5/16 threaded shaft, 2 spacers, 2 Knobs to tighten things down and 2 2" pulleys. I've got the pulleys ordered but I could have made them before these get here. The pulleys float on the spacers and have bronze bushings.

It has a 3 step pulley on the quill and you slide the others up or down to change the speed. So heres pictures.

Frist one is starting to cut the shank.

Turningshank.jpg

About done with the shank.

Shank2.jpg

Cutting the taper

CuttingTaper.jpg

Turningshank.jpg

Shank2.jpg

CuttingTaper.jpg

Turningshank.jpg

Shank2.jpg

CuttingTaper.jpg

I made 2 then cut them off on the band saw and faced off the large end.

Facing.jpg

Drilled out to 1/2" in steps and then bored a recess in the end.

Drilling.jpg

Boring.jpg

Made 2 inserts out of 4140 drilled and taped 5/6 then knurled them.

Insert.jpg

Facing.jpg

Drilling.jpg

Boring.jpg

Insert.jpg

Facing.jpg

Drilling.jpg

Boring.jpg

Insert.jpg

Picture of drill press front. these things sold for about 5 bucks.

.Drillpress1.jpg

Side.

Drillpress2.jpg

Back showing what I made still need the pulleys.

DrillPress3.jpg

Drillpress1.jpg

Drillpress2.jpg

DrillPress3.jpg

Drillpress1.jpg

Drillpress2.jpg

DrillPress3.jpg

Hay Old Man OOPS I mean Iron:whistle:

I remember that drill press we had one in the shop at the gravel pit, long time ago.:biggrin:

Jerry.:cool:

Well you got the old man parts right and you must be sneaking up on it yourself if you remember one of those! And thanks For the commont.:biggrin:

Paul

Very cool press. Probably better than anything that some of the discounters sell now. Its amazing that Sears use to sell such cool well made stuff. Where does the motor mount?

Jeff

Very cool press. Probably better than anything that some of the discounters sell now. Its amazing that Sears use to sell such cool well made stuff. Where does the motor mount?

Jeff

Motor mounts under it, I'm going to mount it on her bench and put the motor on a shelf below it. Looking for a sewing machine foot switch for it. I guess you could call it a sensitive drill press.

Paul

Back