Something a Little Different

I got the DRO installed. It was a really easy install. The mounting surfaces where the scales mounted are all flat. I only had to make one bracket and a few stand-offs. The size of the Easson 8A display is ridiculous. At least a third larger than the EL400 I have on the lathe. The cover that came for the X-axis was crazy huge so I thru on an angle for now. It needs to be deeper but it was what I had on hand at the time.

20170213_220820.png
20170213_220922.png
20170213_220934.png

I used the machine a lot over the weekend. So far I am really pleased the way it worked out. It fits exactly what I needed. The fit and finish is very good for a Chinese machine.

Milling is not bad at all. I still need to check the tram but it is not bad as it came. The factory manual is pretty humorous to read. On the page that shows the controls the numbering system does not correspond to the descriptions which makes the operation descriptions really fun to read. Fortunately the G0751 manual isn't too bad.

As I was going through the features, one thing the is the machine is supposed to do is tapping but I could not figure out how and the manual does not have a description for it. Looking at the Griz manual I discovered it does not have the spindle reverse and stop switches as shown on the G0751.

g0751 tapping switch.png

A little over kill for this machine but I had the Z up/down gearmotor and the X table powerfeed left over from my PM-932 after the CNC conversion.

The table powerfeed only required a small modification to to adapt it to the smaller table.

20170226_202553.png

I made a simple motor mount for the gearmotor to replace the table up/down crank. The table is heavy and it is a bit of a pain to crank up. I also reused the leftover rotary switch and auxiliary electrical box from the PM-932 to house the switch for the gearmotor. The only item I had to purchase was a shaft coupler. Forward is up and reverse is down. I did have some concerns about the gearmotor being powerful enough but it works great.

20170226_201854.png
20170226_201901.png
20170226_201915.png

I just finished making my own head elevating set up for my PM932 plain Jane. A DC motor a drive sprockets and a couple of micro switches . Works great.

Dave

Back