Some Words For The Wise... Learn From My Mistake

...snip... Which may not sound like much, but I have rebuilt several engines, installed numerous cams, heads, intakes and had a number of people bringing me their hot rod cars for everything from carb tuning to engine swaps. ...snip....

I also do all my own car repairs. Several 'friends' have come and gone needing my help.

The best damper I have learned to use: They have to pay for all parts and supplies needed and they have to help do the work.

I've earned only two close buddies that we will swap work with each other. Too many others wanted a free mechanic.

In-laws man. Mine are farmers. When they found out I was a welder/fabricator they thought my life was their free tool. Once the "bills" were handed out I only get called when they can't get by on their own.

Last edited:
They have to pay for all parts and supplies needed and they have to help do the work.

They have to help?........That promotes the wrong message!
I've been thinking about a "Shop Rates" sign....something like:

Easy Fix(no tools): $50
Easy Fix(but something I hate doing) : $100/hour
Interesting project(I get to learn and/or buy new tools): price range from free to the full cost of new tools
If you want/try to help, double the above!

-brino

They have to help?........That promotes the wrong message!
I've been thinking about a "Shop Rates" sign....something like:
Easy Fix(no tools): $50
Easy Fix(but something I hate doing) : $100/hour
Interesting project(I get to learn and/or buy new tools): price range from free to the full cost of new tools
If you want/try to help, double the above!
-brino

That all well and good if you want to encourage those $%((%$$#%$% freeloaders!

Show 'em what the work is about and they appreciate it so much more.

Besides, 2/3 of the discouragement is sharing with them, my sparkling personality!
(Sometimes they leave skid marks)

Back