Some Useful Milling Machine Tools

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
? endmills and weldon flat endmill holders, various shapes and sizes.
? stub length drill bits
? hold down sets for mill
? dovetail cutters
? t-slot cutters
? horizontal/vertical rotary table
? tilting angle base compatable with rotary table, if it isn't built in.
? collets
? tailstock to go with rotary table
? milling vice - consider kurt as the chinese ones can leave a lot to be desired.
? swivel base for vice
? toolmakers insert vice
? clamp down sets
? boring head for mill and boring bar
? parallels for holding work up in the vice
? slitting saw arbor and blades
? fly cutter
? fishtail threading gage (for aligning tool to work) and an ACME screw thread gauge.
? metal, plastic to cut (online metals has some assortments but you will need some bigger stuff as well)
? reamers
? angle blocks for setting up work at an angle in vise, measuring, etc.
? spiral point (best for through holes) and/or spiral flute (blind holes or through holes) taps, tap wrench
? countersink bits
? transfer punches
? cam clamps or toe clamps
? machinists? parallel jaw clamps, c-clamps
? machinist squares
? right angle blocks
? 123 blocks, 246 blocks
? Machinists? jacks
? edge finder and/or wiggler
? gear cutters or free running hobs, or a fly cutter style
? deburring tool
? DRO (expensive, optional)
? radius turning attachment (optional)
? better drill chuck for mini-mill
? expanding mandrels or arbors
? vice work stop
? steel letter/number stamps sets
? v-blocks
? ring light for mill
? x-way cover for mill
? way lube/spindle lube
? tachometer
? horizontal bandsaw for cutting stock, bimetal blades. In a pinch, you can cut them on the mill

Some sources: Shars, Travers Tool, Enco, MSC, Grizzly Ind., Tools4cheap, CDCO, Little Machine Shop, Ebay, Machine Shop Discount Club, Reid Tool Supply, Anytimetools.

Please feel free to add to this list!

Best,

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
A square and a hex collet block comes in handy once in a while also.

Corm

I knew I needed to spend a lot of money tooling up Nelson but I hadn't made a list, just thought I would buy as project needs dictate. I'll probably spend more on tooling than I paid for the mill. Maybe I'll make a copy of the list you posted and see how many years it takes to fill it.

I found this company while watching machining videos on youtube. Glacern Machine Tool http://www.glacern.com/

Their tools look to be top quality and I especially like their vices and various tooling.

Their videos are awesome and for anyone that is interested in machining these are very good entertainment! :nerd: Beside their product showcase videos they have a whole series called, "crash course in milling", that's pretty good. Although its geared to showcase their products they are very well made and also provide some basic info.

Also I am not affiliated with these guys in any way just thought I'd share as they appear to be pretty high quality tools. I have no first hand knowledge but I've read that they have extremely good customer service.

A tramming alignment tool to make tramming and setting up the vise quicker.

spline broaches

The spline broaches generates the splines by the top of the tooth and by cutting of splines and to finish hole into a component. Spline Broaches are utilized for manufacturing purpose to form holes or cut the surfaces. A variety of spline broaches are available according to the specific work to be taken from them.

Fore more information please visit capital-tool.com/broaches

In regards to the Glacern Tools, I have their 5" vise, er32 collet holder and drill chuck. Being new to machining I could only compare them to the cheaper "enco specials" I started out with and the difference was day and night. These are quality tools. They also ship very fast. I am not affiliated with them in any way, just very happy with their tools :))

Matt

I have a Glacern 5 inch machinist vise as well. Very happy with it.

In regards to the Glacern Tools, I have their 5" vise, er32 collet holder and drill chuck. Being new to machining I could only compare them to the cheaper "enco specials" I started out with and the difference was day and night. These are quality tools. They also ship very fast. I am not affiliated with them in any way, just very happy with their tools :))

Matt

How'dy MATT
Compliments of the season to one and all.

We just ordered an R8 Integral Drill Chuck from them after looking at an Albrecht, which we wanted in a 5/8, which regrettably they did not have.
However, comparing Price and their TIR precision quality, we do hope we have made the right decision.

We did burn our fingers buying locally, what we refer to here as a Fong Kong Product !!!

Looking forward to our Delivery.
Kindest regards
aRM

A tramming alignment tool to make tramming and setting up the vise quicker.

I needed a way to assist in tramming in the Bridgeport so I made a surface plate out of a used brake disc. The disc was turned on a 12" atlas lathe using back gear. I checked the disc after turning on a surface plate with very little run out. to use, clean mill table, lay disc on table and use dial indicator to tram in head. Works better than trying to work around slots in mill table. I check the mill head before starting to align the vice.

Back