Some tooling for my shop :)

Mach89

Registered
Registered
So, here is a pic of some of my tooling I made. I know I already posted about the vise, but here it is again holding a block that will soon be a quick change tool holder for the tool post I'm going to make. The dovetail was cut using the indexable dovetail cutter shown that I also made. It works good for facing too I think (faces beside the dovetail). And it's held in the spindle with the R8 tool holder I made.

I love making tools and using them to make tools (and other cool stuff, of course).
upload_2017-2-17_7-27-52.png

**Edit**
One dovetail joint complete. Need to do the one on the adjacent side and the tool post dovetails will be done. Then of course there's a lot of other machining to do. But I have successfully cut my first pair of mating dovetails.
upload_2017-2-17_7-30-26.png

Last edited by a moderator:
A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

b84c379ba2177fa61d0622cdff515b1c.jpg

776e17483e0d8b6a06f51f2a579409d1.jpg

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

b84c379ba2177fa61d0622cdff515b1c.jpg

776e17483e0d8b6a06f51f2a579409d1.jpg

Bob,
This issue has been here for a while. If a post was pinned on how to attach pics properly this wouldn't happen at all. I for one will not go through the reply to see a pic. I figure it isn't worth it to me. And I am sure others feel the same way as it is sometimes a pain to remove the reply after.

Bob,
This issue has been here for a while. If a post was pinned on how to attach pics properly this wouldn't happen at all. I for one will not go through the reply to see a pic. I figure it isn't worth it to me. And I am sure others feel the same way as it is sometimes a pain to remove the reply after.

It's a TapaTalk issue. Avoid using that program to post pics will solve the issue for now. The best thing to do right now is to report the post to the staff and we will fix it.

Randy,
I know it's a TapaTalk issue. But if they inserted the pic the right way it shows up instead of a red x. There have been a few posts on this but they get lost so new people do not know the right way.
I don't use TapaTalk or my phone to come here. So I don't remember the right way. I know it has something to do with using the paperclip function on TapaTalk. That was why I ask a while ago if a thread could be pinned to the top of the forums for posting pics in TapaTalk. But I guess that can't be done like other forums do.

Randy,
I know it's a TapaTalk issue. But if they inserted the pic the right way it shows up instead of a red x. There have been a few posts on this but they get lost so new people do not know the right way.
I don't use TapaTalk or my phone to come here. So I don't remember the right way. I know it has something to do with using the paperclip function on TapaTalk. That was why I ask a while ago if a thread could be pinned to the top of the forums for posting pics in TapaTalk. But I guess that can't be done like other forums do.

Bill, I am already in over my head on this one and was not aware of a solution for this issue, as this is not technology I use. It might help if you can find the thread that has the solution and post a link. In fact, I am not opposed to you starting a thread with the solution in the proper forum (Site Help & Issues) section and I will be more than happy to make it a sticky. And yes, as you already know we have all kinds of sticky threads in our forums.

Bob,
Bill, all I know is that it is what it is, and I am able to help others by posting a pretty easy work around until Tapatalk and our site software vendor get together on a fix that works for all platforms. Anger and frustration about it is understandable, but achieves nothing useful. Boycotting the addressable issue merely results in marginalizing yourself. I, for one, learn a lot here and I do not want to miss useful information that is accessible pretty easily -- the pragmatic approach...

Bob,
That's fine for you. I figure if someone needs help or wants to show off something they can also learn to post so that everyone sees it without extra UN-neccessary clicks.
That's just my opinion.

Back