Some more pearl and damascus

7mag

Active User
Registered
Here is some pics of a folder I recently made for a gentleman here in Georgia
Stainless damascus and mother of pearl.
Mother of pearl in the pivot screws, and backspacer and thumb stud.
Thanks for looking,

MMPEARL4.jpg MMPEARL5.jpg MMPEARL10.jpg

That's beautiful!

Walt

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a link showing how the SS Damascus is made? The original Damascus steel got its patterns from repeated folding and forging, I'm wondering if the same type of process is used in the material you used.

What is the purpose of the cut patterns in the opening for the blade? How did you make them?

Walt

Really nice and high-end! I'm guessing your whole shop is geared toward knife making. I've love to see some of the fixtures. I remember years ago seeing all the fixtures used to make straight razors before they became a mass-produced item (then of-course eventually extinct). I keep thinking I'd like to try and make a knife one of these years. Simply no time though...

Ray

That's beautiful!

Walt

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a link showing how the SS Damascus is made? The original Damascus steel got its patterns from repeated folding and forging, I'm wondering if the same type of process is used in the material you used.

What is the purpose of the cut patterns in the opening for the blade? How did you make them?

Walt
I'm not positive, about the correct term when this is done on a knife, but when it is done on a firearm, we call it "jimping", and it's done with needle files.

I don't have a clue where the term comes from, wish I did know!

It's done for looks, and for a better grip when it is done in an area that will be held by the hand.

It takes patience and a steady hand, the knife above is a masterpiece of execution, very nice!

Wow, those bolsters look fantastic. great work.

That's beautiful!

Walt

- - - Updated - - -

Walt

Walt, I think the stainless damascus is made the same process as carbon damascus. I think there should be info on the internet about making damascus. I don't make carbon damascus anymore, I buy bars of it and cut out a blade and bolsters. It is expensive, but it takes me too much time to make myself.
The cut patterns are what I call filework. I do it with small round and small triangle files by hand. The purpose for the filework is for looks.
Thanks,

- - - Updated - - -

Really nice and high-end! I'm guessing your whole shop is geared toward knife making. I've love to see some of the fixtures. I remember years ago seeing all the fixtures used to make straight razors before they became a mass-produced item (then of-course eventually extinct). I keep thinking I'd like to try and make a knife one of these years. Simply no time though...

Ray

Ray, My shop is very small and very basic. I have two 2"x72" belt grinder that I made about 25 years ago, a small metal lathe, a small drill press, a small horizonal mill, and a small surface grinder. I don't have a lot of jigs or fixtures, most of my work is hand done.
Thanks for the comments guys!

Back