[How do I?] Some Help On Threads

I don't think I have ever seen a lathe without a footing at the end before. I know most manufacturers stamp a serial number on the bed at the end. That looks like one beefy machine though. Maybe someone on here can help you out.
Taking in matter that the distance of the centers are 550mm this machine is HUGE!
It has a 190mm chuck but i bought a 200mm cause i couldn't find a 190mm, i don't know if i did wrong here.
As about the footing...i don't have it bolted down to the floor but the base is so heavy...and the headstock sit's exactly over it so the center weigh counter weights the tail stock and the carriage.
Sadly there is no numbering on the hand wheels, just some angle numbering on the compound slide.
I search inch by inch the lathe bed and the inner of the base but i didn't find nothing, i guess it had some plate that someone remove it.

One more thing, i change some of the screws that where in a really bad condition and figure out that they where imperial, so i pretty sure that this is not a Greek manufactured lathe.

I've seen post on a few of these in the past on different forums out there. There is some information on Tony's website, too. Just don't remember the brand name of it.
First thing I would do is once the thread pitch can be determine, is make a thread gage that will look just like your spindle. That way you have a easy way to cut the internal threads of your chuck adapter so it will fit the spindle first time, without having to set back up and chase the threads if slightly under. If you were on State side, I could send you a slug of cast iron for a back plate.

Hi Dimitrislma: Here is some stuff from the downloads section.
I require a backing plate as well.

Attachments

• chuck-backing-plate.pdf
    212.3 KB · Views: 7
  • How_To_Make_a_Chuck_Backplate.pdf
    779.2 KB · Views: 8
  • lathe-chucks.pdf
    64.3 KB · Views: 4
I've seen post on a few of these in the past on different forums out there. There is some information on Tony's website, too. Just don't remember the brand name of it.
First thing I would do is once the thread pitch can be determine, is make a thread gage that will look just like your spindle. That way you have a easy way to cut the internal threads of your chuck adapter so it will fit the spindle first time, without having to set back up and chase the threads if slightly under. If you were on State side, I could send you a slug of cast iron for a back plate.
Thank you for your kind offer, there is a big problem with first material here in Greece, especially after the capital control.
Threading on my lathe is not an option because i do not have the threading gears, i will eventually drive the 2 axis with stepper motors through Mach3.
As about tony's web, i research ALL the models, one by one, and boy it took a very long time!
There are none with a one foot stand and i didn't find anyone that the barrings are enclosed and all of those lathes have bolt's from above so the bearings can open in half.
I didn't encounter any lathe that uses the same bronze tapered bushings that my lathe uses, these bushes tights up the the spindle when i tight the round nut and losses it when i uptight it.
I still trying to find out how to dismount and remove the spindle but i think i need to remove the back gear first.
I measured the spindle runout with a dial gauge and it is pretty much a 0,01 mm , so i will not messing with this, not just yet.

Hi Dimitrislma: Here is some stuff from the downloads section.
require a backing plate as well.
Wow, thanks a lot Ken, these are wonderful instructions and info!

Edit: Have someone actually used aluminium as a back plate?

Time to start reading!

I read in an forum topic about machining the back plate from a cast iron weight that is very easy to find.

The lathe is most likely english, made well before the second wold war. my guess 1920.
It is peculiar because it is cantelevered and has a rather uncommon backgear ensemble.
The bearings on the headstock are quite common for the time of manufacture.
Send some pictures to Tony stating this is an unknown lathe, he might know who made it or might place the pictures on his site.
What has he runout? The backplate?
You could easily true it up.

Last edited:
The lathe is most likely english, made well before the second wold war. my guess 1920.
It is peculiar because it is cantelevered and has a rather uncommon backgear ensemble.
The bearings on the headstock are quite common for the time of manufacture.
Send some pictures to Tony stating this is an unknown lathe, he might know who made it or might place the pictures on his site.
What has he runout? The backplate?
You could easily true it up.

I will send the pics to Tony hopping that i'll find some info but i really doubt it.
The chuck jaws had runout no matter where i place the starting point, so i guess it's the spiral that moves them, the plate and the spindle is dead on!

mount the new chuck to the old plate or get an independent 4 jaw to fit the backplate
it is essential to measure the spindle correctly using a caliper

mount the new chuck to the old plate or get an independent 4 jaw to fit the backplate
it is essential to measure the spindle correctly using a caliper
Old Chuck was 190mm, so was the backplate. My new Chuck is 200mm, I will try to make a dummy spindle but I cannot thread to this lathe, this is why it is essential to find the thread type.

the backplate may be smaller than the chuck, it does not have to be the same diameter, as long as the register and the boltholes fit it is ok

Back