Some antique parts I machined and aged to match the original.

george wilson

Global Moderator
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is an ivory and boxwood bobbin and flyer I had to reproduce from a high class 18th. C. spinning wheel. Many varied jobs came to me as toolmaker in the museum.

This class of spinning wheel was mega expensive when made and intended for use by the wealthy. Every woman's education included learning how to spin,even if they just did it a small amount. Queen Eizabeth the first learned to spin. Other women's skills of the upper classes were playing music,singing,dancing,and other skills that women were expected to have at the time. Curiously enough,it was the man's job to choose furniture,curtains,and other things that decorated the house.These high class were often made of mahogany,and had small wheels made of brass for inertia,rather than the usual large wooden wheels we normally see. They also had a level winding device built in,with a heart shaped cam quite similar to Singer sewing machines of the 20th. C.. Small silk spinning wheels might be solid brass.

Aging parts,especially ivory,is very difficult to figure out . Ivory shows the microscopic layer of soot that all very old objects have,from hundreds of years in fire place heated houses,using wood or especially coal for heat.I did not make the ivory bobbin's end look oil soaked like the original as it was not necessary. The idea is to just make the repro have the same aged look as the original,not to lavishly copy each stain,etc.,as the original has.

Metal is much less difficult to age. The flyer(the U shaped part) of this assembly is brass. Over the years,the original had aged very dark. The boxwood spindle of the bobbin had aged also.

The pulley has a left hand thread for which I had to make a tap. I also had to make the shape of the thread authentic. They don't look like modern threads of normal 60 degree angles,they are less steep and have rounded crests. I don't have a closeup of the thread here. They all tend to look different anyway,as nothing was standardized at the time.

The reproduction is in the rear.

DSC_0070.jpg DSC_0072.jpg DSC_0075.jpg

Last edited:
George, I don't think you will ever stop amazing us with your craftsmanship.

"Billy G"

Oh,sooner or later I'll run out of pictures. I was never diligent about photographing my work,and now I wish I had been.

Last edited:
George, had you ever consider writing a book about your work on the lathe and mill machines

Ray,people keep asking,but doing a book is a big and expensive proposition. I worked in a museum,dedicating my life to craftsmanship,and never made a lot of money. But,I wanted to be a craftsman,and never could be a business man or politician.

Last edited:
Amazing work George. My hat's off to you once again. bowing.gif

I'd also love to see a book do***enting your methods.

-Ron

Edit: That's "d-o-c-u-m-e-n-t-i-n-g". The foul language filter is wound a bit too tight.

bowing.gif

Yes George, write a book! I'd buy it! What you know and have learned over the years is a treasure. Skills like yours are becoming a lost art.

Is it a big problem getting ivory for bona fide restoration work? Around here ivory wasn't all that common except for knife handles and piano keys, but whale bone was. There's are a few whaling museums locally that have a impressive scrimshaw display. Pretty impressive what a sailor could do aboard a ship with a pocket knife.

John

Certified pre 1972 ivory can be bought,but it costs a fortune these days. Comes from old trophies that can be proven to be older than that date. A friend bought a piece 3" in diameter and 3/8" thick several years ago. It cost him $350.00 at that time.

There is an ivory carving museum that sells it,and I can't think of the name right off. Been several years since I bought any. I know of one dealer who bought $10,000 worth in Zimbabwe(sp?) quite a few years ago. Then,he could not get permission to import it here. Not a good business decision!! They buy all they want in Japan,whale bone too. Any material they please. If you take a shot gun with an ivory bead front sight out of this country without going through the proper channels,they won't let you bring the gun back into the country.

The latest law is that mother of pearl cannot be exported!! WHY IS THAT!!!??? These silly laws get way out of hand. I didn't know clam or oyster shells were in the endangered list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back