SOLVED (Success)--Motor Wiring

Muskt

Home Shop Tinkerer
Registered
Hello group.
About a week ago I posted a thread called "Shop Projects". In it, I showed a few of the things I have created, and near the end, I asked for assistance with wiring the OEM motor from my PM 1236 for use on a home-grown belt grinder. A couple of responses came; but, I do not know enough about electricity to continue until I get some (exact) directions.

Being a bit frustrated, I attempted to connect the motor to the power last evening. There are 4 wires plus ground coming out of the motor. (NOTHING HAS CHANGED WITH ANY OF THE WIRING FROM THE FACTORY, AND THE MOTOR RAN WHEN I REMOVED IT IN THE SPRING.) Here is a pic of those 5 wires.

Original Wires.jpg

I am not hung up on using the wiring that is currently attached to the motor; however, since it was there, I figured it would simply be a matter of connecting them to the power source. I tried every possible combination of two wires with nothing occurring most of the time. Two times, the motor buzzed, but did not rotate. (I only allowed the buzzing to continue for about 1 second.) (NO SMOKE!!)

This evening, I went out to the shop & removed the cover from the wiring on the motor. There is a wiring diagram inside it. Below is a picture of the diagram.

Cover Diagram.jpg

Next, is a picture of the actual wiring of the motor, including those that originally ran to the switch on the lathe. I labeled the wires with the correct designation from the other end (Top Pic).

Motor Connections 3.jpg

And last, a pic of the placard on the motor case.

Placard.jpg

So, I ask again, for help in making the motor run (CCW Only) and not letting any magic blue smoke out.
Since I freely admit to being "dumb as a box of rocks" with electricity, PLEASE be very specific with any instructions--IN OTHER WORDS--Treat me like an idiot.

Thanks,
Jerry in Delaware

You need some jumpers to make this work. The original wiring went to a reversing switch that's why all the extra wires.
Separate the lathe wires from the motor wires. You only need two wires from the power source to the motor terminal box along with a ground.
Can you make some double ended wire jumpers? Just crimp an appropriate sized solder-less terminal on both ends of a short piece of wire. Follow the diagram and put one jumper from Z2 to U2 and tighten temporarily. Now do the same for Z1 and U1. You can use any of the bolt terminal to make the connections. Now run your stranded power wires to the motor and connect one to each pair of previously connected wires. Ground the motor and it should run. Phillips head screw on the top left looks like it might be the ground terminal.

Thanks, Jim. Yessir, I can make jumpers. Your instructions make sense (even to me). I considered that there was possibly some jumpering & connecting going on in the switch assembly, but the logic involved eluded me.

Electricity & electronics are two things that are completely foreign to me. I really do not know why--I'm not afraid of it, I just do not understand it.

I will attempt the procedures tomorrow. The shop is locked up, & I partook of a small Single Malt Scotch a short time ago.

Thank you again for the fast and thorough response.
Jerry in Delaware

Yahoo, it works!!!!!
A huge "Thank You" to the members who responded to the original, and the revised post. A special thanks to jim18655--Your explanation & instructions were perfect. Alan, thank you also for the offer to "hold my hand" through the procedure.

A side note, when I wired the jumpers as per the diagram inside the wire cover on the motor, the motor ran opposite to the placarded direction.
No big deal to change the jumpers.

Another side note. I noticed that all of the fasteners were somewhat loose during this procedure. The screws holding the terminal block were very loose, & 3 of the 4 the nuts holding the wires from the windings to the terminal block were also pretty loose.

This motor is pretty noisy while running. I used it on the lathe for several months before going 3 phase. Hopefully, it will survive on the grinder for quite a while.

I'll post pics of the grinder upon completion.

As always, Thank You
Jerry in Delaware

Does the noise sound like a bad bearing? If so, it might pay to change them before they seize or break and ruin the motor. They should be easy to get and change. Some motors list the bearing type on the name tag.

Could be. The sound is more of a "rubbing" than a bearing, but it only occurs when under power. After shutting the motor off, it requires a long time co coast down (7.5 x 2.25 aluminum wheel on shaft). There is virtually no noise during coast down. I removed the fan guard , & the fan is not touching, & looks OK. I attempted to move the shaft on the fan end, & no movement. I attempted on the pulley end there is some free play--not a lot--I didn't measure it. The shaft does not move in & out. I'll pull the end caps & check the bearings later.

The wife just informed me that we are going shopping after church. So much for shop time this afternoon.

I'll report on bearing status later.

Thanks,
Jerry in Delaware

A side note, when I wired the jumpers as per the diagram inside the wire cover on the motor, the motor ran opposite to the placarded direction.
No big deal to change the jumpers.Jerry in Delaware

Jerry,

I was reading this thread last night and noticed that the two wiring diagrams you posted show conflicting connections for CW and CCW operation. I was going to comment but jim18655 had already provided the info you needed.

Ted

Hmmmmmm !!

Note to self: Do not test run motor on wooden bench.

I sneaked out to the shop to re-check the motor (bearings). I had the motor clamped to a large wooden workbench. I took off the large aluminum pulley, & sat the motor on the concrete floor. With my foot holding it down, I plugged it in. Not silent, but only about 15-20% of the noise as when on the table. As for the up-down/side to side movement of the shaft. I must have been dreaming. No other excuse available.

Anyway, I feel a bit foolish; although happy that the motor is OK.

Now for the shopping with the wife ?????

Jerry in Delaware

Back