Solid carbide

I have a friend who was cleaning up his garage and found an old set of carbide ski blades from a snowmobile he no longer owned. They were not New but they also were never really used because he wrecked it 10 minutes down the trail after just pulling the skis off the trailer so he threw them in the trash! Well just then I had a crazy hair twickle my nose as I secretly rescue them from their trip to the dump! At first I just thought it was a negative reaction I was having towards his wastefulness but that soon faded and I realized an Idea was brewing as to a possible use for these ski carbides!
My thought was/is to cut them into shorter sections to be used as lathe carbide cutting tools or cut them into slightly longer pieces I could attach handles onto and make a few hand gravers. Since I have no particular desire to reinvent what's already been invented, Has anybody ever made either of these particular wheels using snowmobile ski carbides as of yet? I don't know what grade carbide they are but the carbide sections are about 10"-12" long blades at least 1/4" thick and are welded to steel bar stock that's much longer by maybe 3/8th's or so inches thick. So before I cut them up if there is anyone that has any reasons why I should not proceed with either of these ideas or would i be wasting my time as far as making useful cutting tools with them?

Last edited:
Very cool score!
Can you post pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool score!
Can you post pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your talking to me, no I dont but here is a link with some that are very similar, just different color. Nothing really special except the carbide and im not sure if that even fits the bill!

If your talking to me, no I dont but here is a link with some that are very similar, just different color. Nothing really special except the carbide and im not sure if that even fits the bill!

Get out the silver solder, the torch, a sketch pad & pencil - time to go to town.
I wonder what the grade is.... hmmmm.

Carbide grade, indeed. The stuff we deal with at work is "snow plow" cutting edge stuff. 4000 lb. plow, running down the "wet" road at 50 mph. A pretty tough grade, I would assume. You can smell it burning. We must place a "standard" cutting edge in front of the carbide edge to protect it from impact. I have not attempted to make a boring bar tool from those pieces, but now that you mention it......

I have not attempted to make a boring bar tool from those pieces, but now that you mention it......
Well when you do please let us know how it worked out!

Ok so I guess as long as I have the ability to work/cut and shape the carbide pieces into what I want to make then it would be worth the try! Now to see if I can find out what grade it is!

Back