Soldering Brass Bar

edko

Registered
Registered
This should be an easy but it's been a tough one for me lately. I need to solder pieces of 1/4" x 3/4" C 360 brass bar stock together with soft solder. I tried propane but the bottle was almost empty and that was a no go. Next was Oxy-Acet but I'm not sure of the flame I need. I do a good job with brazing but obviously that requires too hot a flame for this application. Is there a web page, chart or video on the web that would help me? I'm having a difficult time visualizing the flame for the proper temperature needed.
Thanks,
Ed

I discovered that it's not that difficult. I swapped out an almost depleted propane bottle for a full one, replaced the burner nozzle for one that produced a much better shaped flame, supported the piece on iron wire and used liquid flux on the mating surfaces this time. The part shown is made up of four pieces of 1/4" x 1/2" brass. As you can see from the included photo, I still need to work on prettier inside solder joints but I'm beginning to get the way of it and the solder was drawn through the joints.
Ed

Key#1 - Fulcrum Body 003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks... I'll be testing those methods.

Milk of Magnesia... That, I already have on hand and will give a try soon... thanks!

My next soldering work came better. Just a little Tommy Bar to lock the bearing tensioner for my Sideswiper key. Moving ahead bit by bit.

Ed

Key#1 - Tommy Bar (Small).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back