Sold my 7x14 and purchased a Taig lathe!

jdsantiagojr

Registered
Registered
Hello. I just got my taig lathe setup and really excited to start turning. I purchased this machine after deciding to sell my home and move to another state. Basically starting from zero in a small apartment but wanted to keep enjoying this hobby and get as much practice in as possible.

I was hoping to see what other owners of the machine would recommend as far as initial modifications and/or setups that would make using this machine a pleasant experience. Any information would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
Looks like you purchased the 5c model with power feed. Mine is just the regular 3/4-16 thread spindle with power feed. Don't know if you got a chuck or two for it. But, you will want a 4 jaw and 3 jaw from Taig with the 5C adapter. A Taig steady rest would be good too. Don't forget the Taig drill chuck. More than 1 of the Taig toolposts would be good.

My first mill was a Taig lathe with a work holder. You held the 1/4" 4 flute end mill in a collet, cranked the knobs for feed. I did mange to make a tool holder for my 6 by 20 Craftsman/Atlas lathe with it.
Then I bought a PM25VM.

Last edited:
Looks like you purchased the 5c model with power feed. Mine is just the regular 3/4-16 thread spindle with power feed. Don't know if you got a chuck or two for it. But, you will want a 4 jaw and 3 jaw from Taig with the 5C adapter. A Taig steady rest would be good too. Don't forget the Taig drill chuck. More than 1 of the Taig toolposts would be good.
Yeah. I think I will get extra post for it. I actually have the steady rest just not mounted. Is there anything as far as maintenance you would recommend doing to keep the machine in good shape ?

I haven't done any mods to mine but if you search youtube for Taig there are quite a few videos up, showing modifications. One that is fairly simple and seems prudent is making a chip shield for the motor. With the standard set up the motor is directly in line with the working area of the lathe.

A lot of the mods I've seen are pretty specific for a particular type of work, so value depends on the work you are going to do.

As far as other things you may want, I agree get more tool holders. They are cheap, and can be swapped pretty quickly. Not as fast as an Aloris style Quick Change Tool Post, but they still change quickly and they fit the lathe better than an OXA tool post will. You could buy more than 20 of the Taig tool holders for less than a QCTP set.

Yeah. I think I will get extra post for it. I actually have the steady rest just not mounted. Is there anything as far as maintenance you would recommend doing to keep the machine in good shape ?
Not really a recommendation; but, I do follow a procedure that works for me. I oil the ways with way oil before use. I use non detergent 20w oil in other areas such as lead screw in the carriage and the cross slide. I also use way oil in the cross slide ways. I keep mine clean after use.

Back