Soft jaws

MLDJR

Registered
Registered
Morning guys,

Hobby guy here so I need advice.

I purchased a set of Shars soft jaws for a 6" Union 4 jaw chuck I had laying around the shop. So I roughed out the pocket I need and I seem t be having a problem finishing it. I tried a carbide insert tooling, HSS and both seem to dull out quickly and leave a terrible finish.

What am I not getting here??

Thanks in advance.

What set did you get? I don't see anything listed on their website. Are you preloading them while you're cutting them?

Yep, you have to preload the jaws or they just sit there and bounce around while boring them out. A flat washer of an appropriate size chucked on in back of the chuck jaws works great for preloading jaws.

Last edited by a moderator:
Preload is a must. There is no way to stop the jaws from moving without it.

Oh yeah I definitely had them preloaded. I used the:
6" x 1.259"HT American Standard Tongue & Groove Soft Steel Chuck Jaw Set
SKU202-6255
Jaws.

Just can't seem to get a nice finish. When I start our in the center, the finish is nice. But when I get to the outside of about a 2" radius the cutter seems to be not cutting! Its like the cutter goes dull. Almost like the material gets harder towards the outside!

Thank you brino I wasn't sure how to post a link.

My old LeBlond is running at 492

Just a followup to say thanks for the help guys. I went out to the shop last night and was successful!

I ended up dropping the speed and I ground a new HSS cutter and it went very well.

Thanks for the help.

I just saw this thread and from my math, 492RPM gives 515 SFPM at 2" radius. Is that correct?

Back