So...tell me; Why use a DRO????

Actually, I found my Sino manual very instructive, and once you get used to the jargon used, is very easy to follow for all operations.

Most operations, once set up for what type of machine you are using can be done while the units are in general use, say changing from four decimal point imperial to five decimal points (3 and 4 in metric).

The read heads do require setting up correctly if you want them to give consistent results. Time spent setting them up to thou accuracy will be repaid with a trouble free installation. Mine have been in use now for 3 years, and have never missed a beat. Whereas when I used to use the vernier scales type, something was going wrong all the time.

With reference to the two read heads on my lathe. This was done purely for precision production work, when normally you would just use a 2 axis, or maybe 3 even if you use your compound a lot, as I do, but really for a mill you need a 3 axis unit.
On my mill I have a 3 axis Sino unit, for X, Y and Z1 (knee), but I also use a standard vernier scale for the quill (Z2, which is only used for drilling, not for putting a cut on). The most useful setup on the mill unit is the PCD function, you can drill a perfect set of holes around the PCD without having to break out the rotary table. But there are usually a lot more functions available, just by pressing a few button

John

author=Blogwitch link=topic=3387.msg24772#msg24772 date=1315381760
Actually, I found my Sino manual very instructive, and once you get used to the jargon used, is very easy to follow for all operations.

And exactly how does one get used to unintelligible jibberish? LOL.

Whenever I see a statement that is in respnse to something I have said and that statement starts with "Actually", I know I'm about to be contradicted. I acrtually like being contradicted. After using computers since 1983 starting with Bulletin Boards and a Commodire 64, I understand that the highest use of intermet fora is contradiction.

"Actually", :) the manual on the SINO DRO is crap. You may understand it, but no one else does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please tell us how you really feel about the Sino manual . I think you are holding back on us 8^)

author=randyjaco link=topic=3387.msg24855#msg24855 date=1315420854
Please tell us how you really feel about the Sino manual . I think you are holding back on us 8^)

I would do so but modesty won't permit. Those who like the SINO Manual, will be charmed by their website. It has many of the qualities of their manuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zigeuner,

No need to get uppity.

This is not a boast, just another little skill I have tucked into my belt.

ACTUALLY, all my working life I have been used to reading technical manuals, from ones that are just a few pages to others that run to hundreds of mighty tomes, I did a basic month long course on how to read and write technical manuals, so the Sino one presented no problems to me, and that is all I stated, no one upmanship, just the truth!

There is a knack to it, and if you take the time to study what you are after in the manual, and get used to the colloquialism and Chinglish methods of referring to an item contained therein, things do become a lot clearer.

Where people do go wrong, rather than taking their time to study what is written, they just look at the manual, can't make head nor tail of it because they never really try, because they don't understand straight away what is in front of them, then just offhandedly say it is crap.

I know it can be difficult for the run of the mill Joe to understand it, but everything you need to know about how to set up and run the Sino units is in their manual. It is up to the person reading it to extract the correct information.

John

John and Zig,

Two smart guys, but you are locking horns, maybe time to agree to disagree and have a beer.

;0

Hey, I figure if the advice is good enough for the Mayor of New York, it's good enough for me. ##

I appreciate the depth of the discussions that you both bring to our forum. John, we're a bit softer bunch than you are used to, so go easy on us. ######

In the meantime, I am merging some sub-boards together as was suggested to me, so f you see some strange things happening on here, it's just me working. <>

Nelson

I'm more concerned about positioning the scales than operation of the unit. I would hate to damage a read head. As soon as i complete the reverse tumbler project for my 2 9x20's I will install the Sino. I have tested the scales and left the project for 6 months. It's time

Joe,

Don't get too scared, the units are in fact fairly robust.

The best bet is to leave the little plastic transit pieces in position for all your setup work. They can be slid up and down the unit with the small read head without too much trouble. That will ensure the spacings are correct inside for the unit to work. One of the last jobs to be done before turning any handles will be to take out the transit spacers.

Do ensure, if you can, to have the long split seals facing downwards, and if you haven't already got them, buy some dedicated protective covers for the units. What you are trying to achieve is stopping any liquids or debris from getting inside. Also, try to get a small hanging down bit or a full loop on the armoured cable just before it enters the unit, that will ensure any liquid will drop off before it can get to the sealing fittings on the small read head.

The only precision instrument you will need is a dial gauge or DTI on a mag base so that you can sweep along the unit to make sure it is perfectly parallel to the fixed part of the machine you will be using to mount either the small read head or the outer casing.

It is really a matter of using your common sense, doing things in a logical order, check and double check as you go along, and if you can do that, when you have got it all up and running, you will wonder why you worried over it at all.

John

Back