So Much For My Edge Finders...

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently acquired a EL700 3-axis DRO and electronic touch probe and I've been playing with the touch probe to get a feel for how to use it, and how accurate it is (there is no manual for the touch probe). After a few conversations with the tech guy at Dro Pros we figured out that you have to switch directions on the x-axis, and upgrade to the steel probe as the breakaway probe shipped with the kit is too inaccurate for my preferences.

Verification of accuracy was done with several gauge blocks.
IMG_0717.jpg

The gauge block itself measures 1.0001" After about 4 measurements with the electronic touch probe I accepted the fact that it repeats very well (measurement is below the graphic and difficult to read, but it's 1.0000" each and every time).
IMG_0718.jpg

One of the problems I had early on was accurately capturing a datum in X. Being left handed (?) I like to start on the left, which required the direction switch in the DRO's setup for the x-axis. Otherwise, I was off by the diameter of the touch probe's tip. With the new steel probe accuracy is more than acceptable for my usage. Here I'm capturing the left side X and Y datums for the fixed jaw of my vise.

IMG_0719.jpg

After capture, you exit the touch probe menus, and bingo I'm all set up with my zero reference for the left corner of the vise's fixed jaw.
IMG_0721.jpg

I will pack up my mechanical edge finders so they don't rust up sitting in a drawer... :D

Good point Andre! (pun intended...) ;)

Back