Smooth Fit And Heat

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just thought I would post this as although I knew what the problem was I hadnt thought about it till after the event.
I was turning down a stainless shaft to a smooth no play fit in a bore.
Mic it up, spot on. Then it cooled to the same temp as the bore.
Shrunk enough that I had to make another one.
This time I let it cool before finishing to the correct size.

When I took machine shop in high school, we had to turn a cylinder and polish it to a certain size. I got mine that it was almost like a mirror. Stop the lathe, miked it and it was right on. Boy, was I proud of it. Took it to the instructor and he said he would not touch that thing till it cooled off. Yep, you guessed it, that cylinder was a few thousands under. Lesson learned.

One reason you should always re tighten your chuck when grabbing internally..

That's why I use coolant, especially on critical dimensions. I seem to be the strange old man in this, as at the shop the younger guys run dry, and I always insist on coolant. They usually just think it is too messy, but.........

I've had the same problem with precision pieces when they cool off. I've also had aggressive press fits crack the outside piece upon cooling. A problem I've had with long pieces like rifle barrels on centers is that the hot part pushes the tailstock away a few thou. Then while I'm doing something else or having lunch, the part cools and I start turning a taper because the center is now a loose fit in the part. The longer the part the more often I have to check the center fit. I usually just grab the live part to see if I can stop it with light pressure.

Back
Top Bottom