Smooth Finish For Bronze Bushing?

Guys taking ya'll advice and there is a big improvement slowing down the rpm which also slowed down the feed rate.I did give it a try by hand but could see each time that I stop for a second.I did check the other area's and I did set the bar alittle shorter.View attachment 125132

changing rpm has no effect on feed as feed is given as a distance of travel per rotation

I just tighten it down just enough to hold it.Normally I would have order two of these but for some reason I didn't,so I was/is very cautious with it.Grand kids are here now,so taking a break till tomorrow

Check the spindle bearings. Put a long (12" min) bar in the chuck and mount a dial indicator so that it reads from the top of the chuck. try to lift up on the bar.
Indicator should not move more than 1/2 thousandth of an inch.

You can also tighten the bearings for less space and run at a very slow RPM for one or two cuts.

Thank you Profkanz,I need to do that which I haven't check that since I rebuilt my lathe few yrs back.
Guys I bet I took doz passes then checking the fit after each pass with the shaft.Got down to the next to last pass which the shaft fit but was alittle hard to turn,so I took one more pass only increase it by 1/2 thou but added alittle oil to the cut which I wish I would have added the oil to the "next to last cut".Anyway I came out almost a perfect fit,but I wish it was just alittle tighter to allow for alittle ware.I am about .002 bigger than the shaft.Now waiting on the green Loctite 603 to show up in the mail.Guys at this point I have to say thanks for all the help,this is only the second time that I turned something that had to fit----kroll
DSC03052.JPG
.080 means nothing

If your OD fit has not been established, you could fit it tight and shrink the ID a bit.

Thanks Tony what the bushing fits in is 1.375 and the bushing OD is the same size.I am giving it some though since I have to order the loctite maybe order another bushing also from the same place McMaster.Do you think that .002 is to much?

No, I don't. There will be some fairly heavy lube involved, and slow speeds. I believe you'll be fine.

Glad to hear that,I won't be an every day user nor any long length running time.Going to gave it a try which all this goes along with my oil seal questions over in the Colchester section.Thanks guys for all the advice---kroll

Back