Smithy granite spindle bearing size?

Flybyjohn

Registered
Registered
I just purchased a used smithy granite from farm that had been sitting in outbuilding for some time. The machine had a shredded nylon bevel gear to the mill attachment. I took the mill off and noticed a lot of sand debris in the headstock. The gears don’t look too bad but the spindle bearings are loose as a goose. I want to go ahead and replace the spindle bearings while I have it apart. I would rather purchase the bearing from somewhere other than smithy because they want a premium price for theirs. Their website only list them by part number and not the size. Does anybody know what size taper bearing they use on the smithy granite?

If you disassemble the spindle there should be numbers on the bearings that will identify them. If not measure the bore and the diameter of the spindle and take the bearings to any good bearing supply house and they can match them.

Thanks nutfarmer, I know I can do that, I was just hoping I could get the bearings here before I have parts spread across the bench. Several threads I read where people were sent bearings under warranty for sand and crap in the headstock from smithy but they didn’t list the size. I was hoping someone who already had to do it had the sizes already. I guess I’ll have to tear it apart.

I just purchased a used smithy granite from farm that had been sitting in outbuilding for some time. The machine had a shredded nylon bevel gear to the mill attachment. I took the mill off and noticed a lot of sand debris in the headstock. The gears don’t look too bad but the spindle bearings are loose as a goose. I want to go ahead and replace the spindle bearings while I have it apart. I would rather purchase the bearing from somewhere other than smithy because they want a premium price for theirs. Their website only list them by part number and not the size. Does anybody know what size taper bearing they use on the smithy granite?
Here are the Granite bearing sizes listed by part number. Let me know if you need the parts diagrams for the Granite also.
HTH, Bill

Attachments

• GN Bearing sizes - IN CHINESE.pdf
    78.3 KB · Views: 32
If you can find the numbers I highly recommend these guys https://www.qualitybearingsonline.com/ they are out on Britain, I had to buy a set of bearings for my mill and I wanted Timken bearings, I bought 2 bearings and paid half the shipping for what I could get a single bearing for here in the states.

I did find some part numbers that I think I made sense of. One is E2001710E and the ther is E2007108E. Now a 7108 is a 32008 or 40mmx68mmx19mm but nothing turns up for a 1710 but a 7110 is a 32010 or 50mm x 80mm x 20mm bearing. So I’m going to assume those are the sizes I’m looking for. If anybody else has any other information please let me know. Thank you.

Ok some conflicting info here. The parts diagram list in Chinese is different than the one the English one. The 3-28, #5, is E2007107E in Chinese and E2001710E in the English diagram. I’ll just pull it apart next week and have a look before ordering them.

Back